[SOLVED] How to force CPU to run at full speed?

cameronjpu

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I have a Dell 5582 laptop that is running its 1.5 Ghz i5 CPU at between 0.3 and 0.4 Ghz, despite anything I can think of to try. I have disabled speedstep in the BIOS, installed the ThrottlingOff registry key, set the Windows performance settings to max performance, and nothing makes any difference.

An important fact to note is that there is something wrong with the battery on this laptop, so the computer runs, but the battery does not charge. The battery is thus at 1% permanently, though the computer (as of now) does have enough charge that it does not shut off immediately when unplugged.

I've installed HWinfo and the CPU is not running hot and the fans are all working as they should. Don't think it's an overheating issue, nor a heat sensor issue.

Any suggestions for how to force this computer to run at closer to, if not at, the max speed? Heat isn't an issue, the computer lives in USA quality AC and stays on a desk, so running a little on the hot side is no big deal, especially compared to running slowly all the time, which it does as a result of the low CPU. Interestingly, the CPU usage metrics in task manager do not suggest high usage either, but everything is slow.... System is clean-installed with new SSD and 8 GB of RAM, and before this CPU issue happened (last week) ran much better. I am a computer support pro, so take that for whatever you like as far as my ability to try fixes and the likelihood that i'm telling you the truth above :). Thanks!

Solution
Looks like you need a new battery, and to be honest if the problem isnt the charger the battery is probably a fire hazard so you should probably solve that problem first.
a very low battery might induce max power saving, even if on AC adapter....

(Some brands will work with battery completely removed, but, some won't...)

Until you can square away the 'stuck at 1% charge condition', going too far with the 'stuck at low clock speeds' troubleshooting should be on hold...

Are you using the correct charger? Is the charger known good? (Have you at least tried a correct and preferably different charger of adequate wattage? (from Dell)

cameronjpu

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
a very low battery might induce max power saving, even if on AC adapter....

(Some brands will work with battery completely removed, but, some won't...)

Until you can square away the 'stuck at 1% charge condition', going too far with the 'stuck at low clock speeds' troubleshooting should be on hold...

Are you using the correct charger? Is the charger known good? (Have you at least tried a correct and preferably different charger of adequate wattage? (from Dell)

Good idea. It's not an original Dell charger, so I should try that.