Question How to force GPU to run at a higher core clock speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keppy

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
For whatever reason only in Overwatch does my GPU not boost much. It sits around 1500MHz instead of boosting up to 1900MHz+.
Because of this I can't get a stable framerate of 144+ which really infuriating. Is there any way to force my GPU to run at a higher core clock speed? Or is there a different solution?
My GPU is at 50c while playing, so there is a lot of headroom.

2700X
RTX 2080 +75 +750
16GB 3200 -16 18 18 36

Lutfij

Titan
Which version of Nvidia's drivers are you on? Did you see if uninstalling(with DDU) and reinstalling the drivers changes your experience? If it's only in Overwatch, you might want to try tinkering with resolution and in-game details to see if that resuscitates the GPU's clocks.

keppy

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
Driver version: 430.86. I did try changing the in-game details and render scale, which does make my card boost a little higher (nearly 2000MHz on highest, 200% rs), but my fps is then being limited by the details, and can't push 144 frames anymore. I'll reinstall the driver with DDU now, let's hope that'll help.

keppy

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
Which version of Nvidia's drivers are you on? Did you see if uninstalling(with DDU) and reinstalling the drivers changes your experience? If it's only in Overwatch, you might want to try tinkering with resolution and in-game details to see if that resuscitates the GPU's clocks.
I reinstalled driver 430.86 using DDU, my framerate is higher and my core clock does boost again (up to 1935MHz), but very occasionally it does dip down quite a bit from ~270 to ~120 for a few hundred milliseconds. Perhaps I need to lower my settings a bit?
Also, how come clean reinstalling my driver pretty much solve the problem? I don't quite understand it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Because you got a Windows update, and Windows likes to be the boss. So it messes around with 3rd party drivers, choosing its own because they are newer versions or newer date codes, and doesn't care that the rest of the drivers are now out of sync.

keppy

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
What is GPU and CPU usage? Look at highest usage on any individual core, not overall CPU usage.
One day and lots more playtime later and my frame rate is unstable again. Nothing has changed since the clean GPU driver reinstall (using DDU). Do you lads have any other suggestions that could maybe fix the issue? I'm out of ideas.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Overwatch has some pretty impactful settings that'll hit a gpu somewhat hard and can cause frame drops out of nowhere you can see.

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/7808/overwatch-graphics-performance-tweak-guide/index5.html

The video in the first shows a toon skating over a puddle. 2 views, first replicates and transposes the toon as a reflection, the second doesn't. Having a second toon shown, or even multiple toons if in town by Windows can cause a hit you'd not expect. Higher the resolution/fps then the bigger the hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.