Question How to force GPU to run at max clock speed while gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keppy

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
I already asked for something like this in this post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/3494251/ But the suggestions didn't fix the issue unfortunately.

For whatever reason only in Overwatch does my GPU not boost much. It sits around 1500MHz instead of boosting up to ~1900MHz.
Because of this I can't get a stable frame rate of 144+ which really infuriating. Is there any way to force my GPU to run at a higher core clock?
My GPU sits around 50c while playing, so there is a lot of headroom.

So how does one go about forcing a GPU to run at a higher clock speed while playing a game?

Ryzen R7 2700X
RTX 2080
MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz
Intel 660p 2TB

Jul 4, 2019
What brand is the board for the graphics card? And have you allready overclocked it or are you playing games at stock frequencies. My 2080ti had problems not boosting but finding a max overclock fixed it.

keppy

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
What brand is the board for the graphics card? And have you allready overclocked it or are you playing games at stock frequencies. My 2080ti had problems not boosting but finding a max overclock fixed it.
It's an INNO3D 2080 Gaming OC X3. And I did try overclocking it to Core +75, Memory +750, no voltage adjustments, which didn't help.

Jul 4, 2019
Are you using MSI afterburner? If so max out the voltage slider and temperature slider. That card has boost clock of 1800mhz according to the spec sheet. Try tweaking your overclock higher or lower to see if you can get more out of the card. And also what is the max mhz that the card reaches?

keppy

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
Are you using MSI afterburner? If so max out the voltage slider and temperature slider. That card has boost clock of 1800mhz according to the spec sheet. Try tweaking your overclock higher or lower to see if you can get more out of the card. And also what is the max mhz that the card reaches?
The issue would still remain though, the card just doesn't want to boost to 1915MHz (it's max stable boost). Even though it should.
From what I've noticed is that the card only wants to boost as high as it needs to for it to push out about 100-180 frames a second. So when nothing is going on it barely boosts for lots of fps, but when a lot is going on, the card has to boost a bit to compensate for the lack of frames its pushing out. I don't know why it just doesn't stay boosted the whole time while I'm playing.

Jul 4, 2019
Well its normal as the GPU load decrease the core clock follows. It happens all the time when Im playing fortnite, Ill see my core clock goto idle clock. Is your core clock dipping while your in game or is it just during a off time such as a loading screen?

keppy

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
Well its normal as the GPU load decrease the core clock follows. It happens all the time when Im playing fortnite, Ill see my core clock goto idle clock. Is your core clock dipping while your in game or is it just during a off time such as a loading screen?
It happens in game, constantly. It wouldn't be so bad if my damn frame rate could be above 144+ at all times at least. Also, when there's a sudden heavy load, the fps tanks, then the clock speed increases, and the fps rises again. This makes for very annoying lag spikes. All this mess would be negated if the card would just run at a constant clock speed. Speaking of which, I still don't have my answer for it.

Jul 4, 2019
Okay heres some things to try and check, make sure your CPU isnt overheating and causing the lag spikes, and another is in your nvidia settings make sure maximum performance is checked. Looking at some other peoples lag spike and core clock dipping the solution was better CPU cooling. As linked here.

keppy

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
Okay heres some things to try and check, make sure your CPU isnt overheating and causing the lag spikes, and another is in your nvidia settings make sure maximum performance is checked. Looking at some other peoples lag spike and core clock dipping the solution was better CPU cooling. As linked here.
Played a bit of Overwatch - Total Mayhem (too much going on in game at all times). CPU was at 65c, ~60% usage and a stable 3975MHz. GPU was at mid 60's c, ~60% usage, and mostly at 1920MHz, which frequent drops down to ~1500, ~1600, ~1700MHz. Fps was not above 144 fps at all times, with frequent drops down to ~100 or ~120 fps, or sometimes quite a bit above 144 fps. And I already had maximum performance selected. What do I do now?

Dewalt1209

Commendable
Feb 18, 2019
It happens in game, constantly. It wouldn't be so bad if my damn frame rate could be above 144+ at all times at least. Also, when there's a sudden heavy load, the fps tanks, then the clock speed increases, and the fps rises again. This makes for very annoying lag spikes. All this mess would be negated if the card would just run at a constant clock speed. Speaking of which, I still don't have my answer for it.

I have same issue with minecraft on my gtx 1080 ti. ussualy boost too 1949mhz or 2000mhz when i overclock it, but in minecraft it never boosts over 1569. when testing with the gtx 1060 3GB i got today there is no problem and the game gets 2x the fps than my gtx1080ti but only in minecraft. shadow of the tomb raider on 1080P gets about 110 fps with gtx1080ti where it boosts too max frequency and on the gtx1060 it gets 45-50fps

Status
Not open for further replies.