[SOLVED] How to force install Nvidia drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROG593

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
Hi
I pre-ordered RDR2 for PC and when the big day finally arrived I found myself shocked I wouldn't be able to play due to the "exited unexpectedly" error. In my case is because I have a laptop with a 880M gpu which is no longer supported by Nvidia and the required ver. of the driver 441.12 is no available for my GPU model. Since I can't get another laptop with a newer GPU that supports the 441.12 Im forced to find a solution to this, but the problem is I don't know how or what to search for. The only thing I could find was the modded INF but even after passing the compatibility test, the driver didn't install. I hope someone here can help me with this so I can play RDR2.
btw my laptop is the ASUS ROG G750JZ

Solution
I don't know why ppl keep telling me that. Its a 6 yrs old laptop not a 10 or 20 yrs old one. I ALREADY installed the game and thanks to the latest patch from rockstar I CAN PLAY in half mid half low settings. The problems is the game keeps crashing randomly because of the driver version, not because of my hardware, it doesn't matter if I play 10mins or 2hrs straight the crashes happen randomly for the same error and according to R* is only for not having the latest GPU driver.
So please abstain of replying if your answer is like that, an answer like that is worse than the ppl that reply with "just buy another pc."
They're telling you that because the reality is, your 880m is roughly 60% as powerful as the minimum required GTX...
You can't. It's not possible to play on that hardware, especially since the driver is not going to ever install on something that old which lacks support. Even if you could somehow get it to install the driver, you'd never be able to play with that hardware. I doubt the game would even install since you are grossly lacking in even meeting the minimum requirements.

ROG593

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
I don't know why ppl keep telling me that. Its a 6 yrs old laptop not a 10 or 20 yrs old one. I ALREADY installed the game and thanks to the latest patch from rockstar I CAN PLAY in half mid half low settings. The problems is the game keeps crashing randomly because of the driver version, not because of my hardware, it doesn't matter if I play 10mins or 2hrs straight the crashes happen randomly for the same error and according to R* is only for not having the latest GPU driver.
So please abstain of replying if your answer is like that, an answer like that is worse than the ppl that reply with "just buy another pc."

They're telling you that because the reality is, your 880m is roughly 60% as powerful as the minimum required GTX 770 according to the Passmark GPU scores of both. You can imagine all you want that it's because you don't have the latest driver, but it's really because that GPU is not physically up to being supported by that driver or the game.

Six years is also a hella long time to hold onto even a desktop GPU, and laptop GPUs are always clocked much lower than their desktop equivalents to avoid heat buildup, so we're really talking more like the equivalent of 7-8 years old. And if the GPU and OS were 10 or more years old, there's a good chance the game wouldn't even install, so that's moot.

I've seen far too many people claim "it's working fine, except for", but what they don't say is in reality the game is playing like a slide show. That's not how games are supposed to play, and why devs state hardware requirements, and why modern drivers don't support old hardware. Even the best hardware struggles with that game on max settings.

At some point you have to face facts and get more current hardware if you want to play games like that, it's a reality of PC gaming you have to come to terms with. Even consoles are only backwards compatible. You won't see a made for next gen game play on a 360, and that's pretty much what you're asking for, except on PC.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.