Question How to force my GPU to run at a higher clock speed (while gaming)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a nvidia card, changing nvidia control panel's settings to max performance will allow gpu frequency to stay maxed out. You can set the setting in nvidia control panel for a specific game using it's own profile. Making this change will allow your gpu frequency to stay maxed out only when that particular game is launched.

You can do this in program settings tab in the picture below:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...ent-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

keppy

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
If you have a nvidia card, changing nvidia control panel's settings to max performance will allow gpu frequency to stay maxed out. You can set the setting in nvidia control panel for a specific game using it's own profile. Making this change will allow your gpu frequency to stay maxed out only when that particular game is launched.

You can do this in program settings tab in the picture below:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...ent-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance
Have already done that, and it's still not boosting properly.

Did you change your power settings to max performance in windows 10 control panel?
Is this a recent graphics card upgrade? Did you perform DDU to defectively uninstall previous drivers, then reinstall the latest nvidia drivers?
Does this issue happen with all games or just one game?
Did you build a new computer and reuse your SSD/HHD's, without formatting and reloading windows?

keppy

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
Did you change your power settings to max performance in windows 10 control panel?
Is this a recent graphics card upgrade? Did you perform DDU to defectively uninstall previous drivers, then reinstall the latest nvidia drivers?
Does this issue happen with all games or just one game?
Did you build a new computer and reuse your SSD/HHD's, without formatting and reloading windows?
It's on 'Ultimate Performance' and I can't seem to change it to High Performance.
Yes it's a recent upgrade, and yes I did do a clean install using DDU.
It only happens in Overwatch from what I've noticed for whatever reason.
My new build uses a clean Windows install, who has had both my 1060 and 2080 installed on them at one point.
EDIT: I just tried to switch to high performance and it suddenly worked...

keppy

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
Please list your full system specifications. Did your 1060 have the same problem?
Ryzen 2700X not overclocked
RTX 2080 not overclocked
Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3200MHz
B450 Gaming Plus
Intel 660p 2TB
My frame rate with the 1060 was sufficient and stable, but one day an Overwatch patch was released and it was hell ever since.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Then your issue is not with the hardware, but with the patch. You aren't the first to have this issue, it's common to many online games, overwatch, pubg, fortnite, even CSGO etc.

A quick Google search and you'll find a serious amount of posts on this, like the Busan and Winter Wonderland patches that dropped ppl from 140fps to 8-9fps, and they tried all the same fixes you have, plus even the Blizzard recommended troubleshooting tips, and in the 6 posts I looked at, no fixes found.

keppy

Reputable
Oct 15, 2016
Then your issue is not with the hardware, but with the patch. You aren't the first to have this issue, it's common to many online games, overwatch, pubg, fortnite, even CSGO etc.

A quick Google search and you'll find a serious amount of posts on this, like the Busan and Winter Wonderland patches that dropped ppl from 140fps to 8-9fps, and they tried all the same fixes you have, plus even the Blizzard recommended troubleshooting tips, and in the 6 posts I looked at, no fixes found.
What am I supposed to do then? Play with super inconsistent fps? Can't I just force my gpu to run at a higher clockspeed?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your gpu already runs fine as is, according to you, in any other game. It's just Overwatch since the patch that's got your gpu messed up. So obviously the issue is with Overwatch, whether the game code or the patch itself.

I'd suggest you get ahold of Blizzard support, explain that since the patch, your fps has gone nuts, but doesn't affect other games. Let them know you've done all the standard things like clean install, DDU drivers etc. Let them tell you what the deal is with their game. Your pc is fine. I don't see anything more you can do, unless it's a specific setting in the Overwatch ini file that needs adjustment or deleting or adding.

Status
Not open for further replies.