[SOLVED] How to Format a drive completely in 'Disk Management' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2022

I want to format a drive (with an os installed) in disk management, but i can't remove both healthy (EFI System) and Healthy (Recovery Partition).
How to format it completely? i can do it via OS installer but i am afraid i will missclick and format my main OS.
Thank you.

Solution
no, it is not part of my main OS, i just took the drive from my laptop to use it on my desktop PC.
i just want to use as back up folder of my photos and some small files
Just clean the drive.
It will delete all partitioning and data from it.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 3
clean

I want to format a drive (with an os installed) in disk management, but i can't remove both healthy (EFI System) and Healthy (Recovery Partition).
Getting rid of EFI System partition, if you have no other bootloader in your system,
will result in system becoming unbootable.

Are you sure, you want to do that?

Recovery partition you can delete with diskpart
diskpart
select disk 3
select partition x
(select 509MB recovery partition, x=3 or x=4 or x=5)
delete partition override

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022
Getting rid of EFI System partition, if you have no other bootloader in your system,
will result in system becoming unbootable.

Are you sure, you want to do that?

Recovery partition you can delete with diskpart
diskpart
select disk 3
select partition x
(select 509MB recovery partition, x=3 or x=4)
delete partition override
no, it is not part of my main OS, i just took the drive from my laptop to use it on my desktop PC.

Dec 18, 2022
Just clean the drive.
It will delete all partitioning and data from it.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 3
clean

i was about to do it first but i was abit paranoid, i just did it since u helped to ensure it is the disk 3 to clean :tearsofjoy: , thanks
If you are 100% sure the system boots up without this 120GB drive, commandline function diskpart, and the clean command.

Be absolutely sure which drive you're accessing. clean is a one way street.
i just did it, thanks by the way, if only i could choose two answers as the best answer

Status
Not open for further replies.