How to Format a Flash Drive with a Raw File System

raphael512

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2014
Hi I'm currently having a problem with my 16 GB flash drive.When I try to format it . It always say windows was unable to format. I also tried to format it with disk management, cmd , hp disk storage format tool but it gets stuck at 0 %.When I tick the quick format I get the windows was unable to format message, Can somebody help me ?

I don't want to save any files . I just want to format it to make it running again..

Solution

Try this: go to this link: http://hddguru.com/, and download this tool: hdd low level format tool. It's a shareware version but will do. Install it, run, choose USB, do a low level format and then do a format.
Hope this will help.
Good luck.

mironso

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

Try this: go to this link: http://hddguru.com/, and download this tool: hdd low level format tool. It's a shareware version but will do. Install it, run, choose USB, do a low level format and then do a format.
Hope this will help.
Good luck.

Solution

raphael512

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2014

I need a tool that can change the file system from RAW to NTFS or FAT32

Jun 26, 2014

I'm having this problem also, after a good hour messing about with things (knowing what the terms meant I read from various other sites/people/forums on this issue, although I must admit I was pretty much clueless on what some of them did..) I got to disk management firstly and noticed it said RAW. with nowhere near the amount of space I knew it had in it as I have only xbox game saves on it and it's a sandisk 30gb cruzr edge. I noticed after doing something in control panel (including but probably not the thing that changed its capacity) disabling and uninstalling, restarting, reinstall and enabling, It then said I had 29.00GB, the correct space on it and I then right clicked and hit format (still in disk management) and it said in the box that says healthy underneath it, formatting then after about 2 minutes a 0% appeared (in same box), looked like it wasn't changing but left it 10 minutes and it was then below 10%.

I think you have it but you just have to wait a ridiculous amount of time for it to work.. I'm leaving my computer on overnight to do it.

passegua

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014

I did Low Level Format, the hddguru LLF tool works apparentely well,
but my 32 GB pendrive is still un-formattable.

Any other solution?

Thanks

lollololoool

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

ANDRES DUCET

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015

Just solved it myself with Win7.
Right click "Computer"->manage->Storage->disk management.

Select your drive in the bottom, asssign partition and format ;)

iamsurajkumar

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I have found a solution for this.
First of all there is no problem in the pendrive, it correct. I think, its because of some malware or virus which got into your pc from infected pendrive (as in my case) or from internet.
The Solution to use iFlash Tools which I can be found fromt this below website
http://flashboot.ru/iflash/
Your task to find our PID and VID no of your USB, then search with those numbers. Then download tool from the links mention in the search results ( in my case i Used Silicon Power Formatter )
For more detail about how iflash visit
http://superuser.com/questions/767066/unable-to-format-raw-usb-flash-drive?rq=1
or read below
iFlash is a collection of pendrive recovery tools. If you could find your model there, you'll find out what tool could be used to fix it. Those tools are very low-level and have to be dedicated for specific pendrive, even tool version matters.
The procedure usually goes like this: first, you have to find product and vendor identifier of your flash drive (PID and VID). One of those has probably been changed (that's why it shows under different name), but iFlash has them listed. To fix the drive, you have to run a program included with your downloaded tool that will let you install alternative drivers for that flash drive. After installing them, it will stop reporting as a flash drive and will enter low-level settings mode.
At this stage you'll want to erase entire memory, so you can repartition it correctly later. Then you should restore original PID and VID. After reconnecting, flash drive should appear and it should be possible to format it. If it won't work, the drive is permanently damaged.
Be careful when using those tools, features they offer are quite advanced and you can make things even worse. Remember that not all drives can be fixed, actually chances are quite low. 4 GB pendrives are pretty cheap, messing with low-level tools may not be worth it.

Obi-Wan-Kabuki

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

MY SD CARD WAS NOT BEING RECOGNIZED BY THE MAC OSX, HERE'S HOW I FIXED IT...

Thanks for the above disk low level formatting tool, been looking for a tool like that other than SPINRITE (which must run standalone). Didn't work for me however. I have been trying to get a 64GB Kingston flash to work, on the mac, on Windows 8.1 and Windows XP (running under Parallels VM on the MAC), NOTHING worked. 64 GB Flash disks are still too expensive to throw away...

HOWEVER... SOMETHING DID WORK!

Since its the type of SDCARD with a micro SD card inside it... I put the micro SD card into a WINDOWS LUMIA 1520 Micro SD card slot (phone is running the Denim release OS). The phone recognized it needed to be formatted... and didn't give me any of the errors OSX and Windows gave me. NOW IT WORKS!!!!

As to WHY the Windows Phone has a better recovery for SD CARDS than its Desktop OS does I don't know. I just know it worked and it worked FAST!