Ciubuc112

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
hey there,i want to format my hdd to perform a clean windows instalation.But there is a problem that i cannot find the solution...
So i want to install the windows on my new M.2 SSD so i would have to unplug the hdd-install wind-then plug it back.But now i have the windows installed in my hdd,how to format/erase my hdd?
Should i start the windows installer on my hdd and where it shows the partition part to delete everything and then leave and unplug it-plug in the ssd-and run the installer?Will it work this way?

Solution
hey there,i want to format my hdd to perform a clean windows instalation.But there is a problem that i cannot find the solution...
So i want to install the windows on my new M.2 SSD so i would have to unplug the hdd-install wind-then plug it back.But now i have the windows installed in my hdd,how to format/erase my hdd?
Should i start the windows installer on my hdd and where it shows the partition part to delete everything and then leave and unplug it-plug in the ssd-and run the installer?Will it work this way?
If you install Windows on the M.2 without the HDD connected, then Windows will boot from the M.2. You can then go into disk management in Windows and delete the partitions and format the second disk.

kanewolf

Titan
If you install Windows on the M.2 without the HDD connected, then Windows will boot from the M.2. You can then go into disk management in Windows and delete the partitions and format the second disk.

Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Yes format that HD because when you install Windows again on your M.2 it will trace to your other drive and you would always need that drive connected and working to boot into Windows as it has a Windows.old folder or a regular Windows folder and it links to that to be able to boot up. If you then format after the M.2 OS install then format the HD your OS will not boot up and what not. :sneaky:

Ciubuc112

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
Yes format that HD because when you install Windows again on your M.2 it will trace to your other drive and you would always need that drive connected and working to boot into Windows as it has a Windows.old folder or a regular Windows folder and it links to that to be able to boot up. If you then format after the M.2 OS install then format the HD your OS will not boot up and what not. :sneaky:
Yes but i can change the boot order to SSD M.2 so it won't boot in the HDD and then format the hdd in disck managemant!
Thanks for your reply <3

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Yes but i can change the boot order to SSD M.2 so it won't boot in the HDD and then format the hdd in disck managemant!
Thanks for your reply <3
Yes of course you will be fine and boot up from M.2 but Im saying if you don't format the hard drive and it is connected you will need it as it has old Windows folder and bootup stuff, in order to boot properly into Windows with the M.2 being the boot device and what not. :sneaky:

Ciubuc112

Prominent
Aug 15, 2020
Again...
Have only the M.2 drive connected.
Install Windows
Verify the boot order
Make sure it all works

Then and only then, connect the old drive and wipe it. You've been given several methods to delete all data on that drive and use it as desired.
yes,i will set up my windows+drivers on the m.2 ssd and then after i will add the HDD