How to format SATA 40gb from PS3 to FAT32 in my new enclosure

breakpoint25

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
I upgraded my PS3 to a 320gb hard drive.

I took the old 40 gb hard drive from my PS3 and put it into a 2.5" SATA Rosewill External Enclosure.

My computer (and other computers in house which run XP and Vista) will not see the hard drive when it is installed in the enclosure.

The 40gb hard drive still has the PS3 format not FAT32 or NTFS which maybe why it can not be found.

I do not own a computer that has SATA hard drives otherwise and cannot hook the 40gb to a computer internally to format it.

So how can I get my computer to find the hard drive so I can format it with Swissknife or PartitionMagic?

google "Diskpart". Or look for the windows server 2003 resource kit - it's in that also. There might be a windows xp version to i'm not sure. I just use the win2k3 for servers at work.

You'll have to read the instructions on how to use it but it'll work. It's a command line based disk management. It's a bit more advanced then the disk management in windows.

as far as connectors you can get adapters for 20 bucks.

I wonder if it's a special drive that only works with the sony playstation.

If you pop it in does it ask for drivers? look in device manager and see if there's any "!" icons. Maybe even try a google search.

I'm assuming you've done this but i'll mention it anyway. Check under disk management which if you right click "my computer" and click manage. go to disk management. Check and see if it's initialized.

breakpoint25

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
nothing, but I have heard of people who got their ps3 hard drive to work on pc. Wonder if my drive went bad or if the Rosewill enclosure is bad :/

I have never had luck with ordering ANYTHING from Newegg.

Really? I've had good luck with newegg. Don't buy their refurbish stuff! That stuff sucks. if you bought it as a refurb or open item i'd take it back if you can.

You know what works good .... hold on - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102 this works great we use it at work.

I use this brand for my 750gig drive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817106097 - not that model but something very similar.

h9lfc

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Same thing happened to me, however installed Swissknife on an XP computer, attached the USB external enclosure with the PS3 40Gb HDD and open program. It recognizes it as a USB Hub - select and format accordingly - works like a charm!! Try it

delf1220

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
What you need to do is: Initialize Disk.

To initialize new disks
Open Computer Management (Local) (Right Click on My Computer, the Click Manage).

In the console tree, click Disk Management:
Computer Management (Local)
Storage
Disk Management

Right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize Disk.
In the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize.
The disk is initialized as a basic disk.

Now you should be able to see it and Format it.

itztaz01

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
thank you this did work for me i am not part of this site yet,but i was reading this forum to see if anybody else was having the same problem i was,well thank you again......itztaz..

To initialize new disks
Open Computer Management (Local) (Right Click on My Computer, the Click Manage).

In the console tree, click Disk Management:
Computer Management (Local)
Storage
Disk Management

Right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize Disk.
In the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize.
The disk is initialized as a basic disk.

Now you should be able to see it and Format it.[/quotemsg]

toshiba_76

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
can someone please help me.. i want to make a backup of my ps3 hard drive due to my ps3 not working!! is there any way i could do that ?????///####''''

brianpth

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I downloaded Easeus Partition Manager free from Cnet. It recognised my PS3 hard drive in my USB encloser straight away. I created a partition and formated the disk which took about half an hour. It works fine now.