how to format second drive using GPT partitions in Windows 7

Lee Danner

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
I have an HP p6608f desktop running Windows 7 and just added a Seagate 4TB SSHD (ST4000DX001) as a second HD, but apparently I need to format the disk using GPT partitions. Windows shows the disk in control panel as needing to be initialized, but it does not appear on any of the file manager views, or as an option to add hardware. The computer came loaded with windows, but w/o disks. How do I partition the second drive?

And, I'm planning to update to Windows 10 in the near future, is that going to help or hurt? Or, will it find and install the drive?

Solution
You initialize the 4 TB secondary HDD from Disk Management.

At the far left of the DM graphic that lists the drive there's a small red arrow pointing downward that's next to the Disk # of the disk. That's a signal that the drive has not been initialized. Most likely since the disk is 4 TB the GPT partition table will probably be the default option. If not, choose it. Click OK.

Following the initialization process the disk can be partitioned & formatted. The disk will be shown as "Unallocated" in Disk Management. You can then proceed with creating one or more partitions (volumes) and formatting them so that the disk will be fully recognized by the system.

JaredDM

Honorable
Just go into Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management right click the drive and choose initialize. It'll prompt you which type of partition table to use. After you create the table, just right click again and select format.

Here's a picture so you can see what you should be seeing:
Initialize.jpg

You initialize the 4 TB secondary HDD from Disk Management.

At the far left of the DM graphic that lists the drive there's a small red arrow pointing downward that's next to the Disk # of the disk. That's a signal that the drive has not been initialized. Most likely since the disk is 4 TB the GPT partition table will probably be the default option. If not, choose it. Click OK.

Following the initialization process the disk can be partitioned & formatted. The disk will be shown as "Unallocated" in Disk Management. You can then proceed with creating one or more partitions (volumes) and formatting them so that the disk will be fully recognized by the system.

Solution