How to free occupied space when files have been deleted ?

skulltafa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Hello,
i keep getting no desk space messages, even tho i deleted so many files and i kno for a fact the space is free, i tried disk clean up, and it goes as far as MB, disk defragmenter tells me that i need over 15% space
im using windows xp, there is only one drive, which is C:
i have 74.52 GB capacity, could someone point me to the right direction, and thank you in advance

skulltafa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
yes i have, and system restore is disabled, i use roxio, it seems that all the folders i delete dont show up as fee space after i delete, because when i started gettin that alert i deleted 40 GB worth of files and it didnt show up

That doesn't really make sense. The best way to make sure that files are permanently deleted is to use <shift>-<del>, which bypasses the Recycle Bin. But as you say the Recycle Bin is empty I would advise doing a chkdsk /f. The space should have been automatically regained.

skulltafa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
so i think i found out the issue, u were actually right it was the roxio backup files, it seems that it backed up all my .avi files over time, now i have two more problems that i encountered during the failing attempts to solve this one.
thank you ijack your was very useful

TRENDING THREADS