How to Fry a 1.4GHz Athlon in 4 seconds

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL! in 4 secs money down the drain, buy more AMD cpus because their stock is in the crapper! RMA's must be killing AMD, LOL! Roflmao!

LOL, there's gotta be more stories like this out there.

<A HREF="http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=762" target="_new">only morons find value in a burnt offering</A>

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
That's the guy's own stupidity dude.....Don't start putting down AMD for things they didnt do wrong.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Yea, looks like user error. BTW, do you spend all your time looking for negative AMD articles?

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

G

from the main page of his link

Everything looks good, but then I screwed up...

" I SCREWED UP" he says

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
The only thing is that you could buy three 1.4ghz T-Birds for every 1.8ghz P4 with money left over. Melt away I say, you will save money. Plus you never know when someone might give you one for free.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 07/19/01 01:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMDmeltdown I shoot flaming poo gas at you.

my 1.4 will arrive soon (I sold my 1.33) and if the heat sink is even touching the Heat sink without a fan touching it, it'll still take several seconds, if not minutes for it to fry. It takes a big error to kill it that fast (as in no heat sink contact).

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Actually I think this post points out the downside of cpu shims, and not AMD chips. Gee I wonder why my gig Athlon will do 1450mhz, without a hiccup, maybe because I know how to install a heatsink, your pathetic.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Its easy to fry a tbird in 4 seconds if you're a d*ckless moron like amdmeltdown, who wouldn't know how to properly install a cpu/hsf if his mommy walked him through it in small words so he can understand, with the promise of a cookie if he did it right.

GO AWAY TROLL!

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

OmegaX

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
I personally have nver liked AMD, although they are on the right track and are threatening Intel in every which way. Both companies have played a risk by choosing to go in seperate paths with their ram of choice (i.e. a parallel to a VHS / Beta war, AC vs. DC war), and it really ends up being the consumer who determines the fate of the successor.

Intel on the one hand has a very large Die-size on the P4 which makes it very costly to produce and gives a larger amount of failed chips at the manufacturing labs. This is why they cost so much. Intel has made the largest marketing campaing in processor history to make their P4 a success and will do whatever it takes to make sure they don't lose the control in the mainstream processor market, and due to the fact that the average consumer looks at Intel as a reliable company that they know of and trust, plus take a look at the good old Hzs and choose Intel.

AMD on the other hand is able to produce their chips at a good cost due to a smaller die size, but they are really fragile and a lot of people end up with key-chains when mounting the heatsink. They produce a lot of heat, due to the heavy power consumption, but are able to pull off better performance than the P4 in most applications. Price for performace AMD is the way to go, but there is a risk involved that it will be instable, cause you grief with IRQ conflicts. Really, AMD has come a long way from the company that I knew that made the alternative that no one heard of to Intel's 486's, the heavily incompatible and instable k6's, then the Athlon which brought them out of the stone age in the mass public, but with a slew of it's own problems. Now, they are threatening Intel to take the lead in the Processor market, in not just low-end to mid-range home/office market, but the high-end worksatation and server market too.

I would have to say that the fate of what happens between these two companies depends on the success of the Northwood/Tualatin or the Athlon 4 when they are released. I don't like to make assumptions about these products based on specs like most people do, I personally will build up systems with both in the computer store where I work and decide which one I prefer.

My idea about a good system is stability before performance, I like to leave my computer on from the moment I put it together to the moment I upgrade and never have to worry about it. That is why I have not yet upgraded from the P3B-F (440BX chipset).

Now, about the article of the 1.4 Ghz being fried. It is not at all AMD's fault, that guy was a pure fool not to mount the heatsink correctly, you should ALWAYS check that the heatsink is firmly against all parts of the die. I for one have had many problems with AMD, but never fried a processor. When a processor gets fried it is USER ERROR, not a companies fault.

Typical problems for the new T-birds versions B and C are the chipsets and conflicts/stability problems. This is why I still stick with the P3 and an Intel 440BX chipset. In my opinion the only company that makes a good chipset is Intel and the 440BX was the last really good chipset they made. The 815EP is also a great chipset, but not even close to the stability of the 440BX.

Anyway, I tried to be as unbiased as possible and not piss off any Intel or AMD lovers out there. I am just making an informed opinion based on factual information and practical experience from building comps from the days of XT's (that was uncommon back then to build your own computer, everyone wanted a genuine IBM, to have a clone was frowned upon, and to build your own was unheard of). I hope I was of help.

I personally think it will be exciting to see the release of these new processors.

My System: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417</A>

G

Well said OmegaX. Good to see someone trying to be impartial.

:smile: Too damn hot in that kitchen!

OmegaX

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
Thanks, I try to state my opinion, but not be offensive to anyone. I just speak out of my own experience and what these two companies intend to do. I'm glad to see that someone appreciates what I have to say. It seems like people are a lot more friendlier here than the other boards I post on. I think I may switch to this forum and stop posting on the others. =)

My System: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417</A>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good thing you trust your motherboards for thermal protection. G1

And I thought AMD put thermal diode in the A4, what a joke you lemmings live.

You get what you pay for. I was noticing the glue offset to the core. Super high quality manufacturing at work.

4 seconds, thats like some kind of record or something.

Its not the end users fault, its obviously AMD's lack of respect for customers. They have known to install thermal protection for years now and this is what you get. 5 bucks saved and a new AMD approved keychain.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I agree with funkdog on this...It's not about AMD. It's about shims...or cheap, difficult HSFs that make people think they need a shim.. I've installed HSF's many times and never needed a shim.

If you think about the height tolerances involved in being parallel to the surface of the CPU, yet with ZERO+ hieght beyond the CPU, a shim is about the stupidist idea ever devised by man. The tolerance must be something like plus or minus .001 That kind of tolerance doesn't come cheap. It's not just impractical,
it's downright stupid.

What I'd like to know is if a shim was even close to practical, why wouldn't AMD just make their own?
Or at least make a list of CERTIFIED shims, given the ridiculous tight tolerance involved.?? Because it's a terribly stupid idea, that's why.

Whoever came up with the shim idea should be tarred and feathered.

"That's right, I'm the guy who can feel the difference between 50FPS & 100FPS in LandWarrior."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bud on 07/19/01 11:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

OmegaX

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
You get what you pay for. I was noticing the glue offset to the core. Super high quality manufacturing at work.

If, you read my post you would have seen that I have mentioned that AMD has never used high-quality manufacturing process, that is why they have always been a low-cost alternative to Intel.

I would not say they have a lack of respect for customers though, because they do have a great RMA support and are able to provide the customer with many recommendation/solution to thermal/power-consumption problems, stability and compatibility issues. I have dealt with them many a time, due to the fact that a lot of our cutomers now will settle for nothing else than AMD.

I will admit that AMD and the motherboards for AMD have been our largest source for RMA's and problems ever since we first dealt with AMD (AMD's 486). Although, they have been getting much better in more recent years. Dollar for Dollar it is the best performance you can buy, but at what cost for stability/compatibility and cooling? AMD is making an attempt to become a better quality product, the Athlon 4 is going to require 30% less power and therefore put out 30% less heat. Over the years the manufacturing process has been getting better, while at the same time providing the same good price for performance.

Like I mentioned earlier, we will see what will happen when the new products come out.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what is your policy on dealing with AMD returns, doa and blatant overclocked cpus(visibly altered brigdes)?

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

OmegaX

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
I agree that shims are not necessary and in the article it was an error in installation that cost him to lose the cpu, but we are neglecting one other point that is in four seconds the cpu was fried.

This leads to a lousy manufacturing proccess once again. AMD says that the Athlon can last up to 90d C before anything goes wrong, but does not recommend extensive use of their processors above 70d C (Phone AMD or Read their release notes). The amount of power required to heat up to a ridiculously high-temperature to fry a cpu in four or even ten seconds is a lot more than even a 600 Watt Power Supply could put out (if your gonna argue with me about that, then you need to go take basic physics again). Therefore, this leads to one other possibility, that the cpu was not manufactured properly, or used a component that does not resist even moderate temperatures (we can preety much rule that out, because all of the CPU's would have fried then). Now, we have isolated that the CPU was not manufactured properly.

OmegaX

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
We don't accept unlocked CPU's. Otherwise we will accept them withing 30 days of purchase for OEM CPU's, if it is Retail then we will accept them at the Manufacturers Warranty Length (Between one and three years).

OmegaX

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
btw... there is no speed of gravity, gravity is a force that causes objects to accelerate. We don't understand exactly why it happens, but we can calculate how much. The Force of gravity on Earth is 9.8 N/Kg and causes objects in freefall to accelerate by 9.8 m/s^2. The formula for calculating the force between two large independant bodies: Fg = GMm/r^2
F is in Newtons
G is the Gravitational Constant of 6.67x10^-11 Nm^2/Kg^2
M is the Mass of the Large body in Kg
m is the Mass of the Small body in Kg
r is the distance between the centres of the two bodies

If you deal with more than two bodies it gets to complex to explain without getting into much more difficult calculations.

Anyway, I hope I helped you out with the question in your signature.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Really I don't follow your logic nor your conclusion about lousy manufacturing process. If you don't cool your Pentium 3 it will also fail. Also consider that the 1.4ghz T-Bird is running twice as fast. Now Intel seems to be a little bit smarter by offering some form of built in protection, hence P4 would fail in about the same amount of time if it had no protection. The heat output of the P4 1.8ghz is really about the same as a 1.4ghz T-Bird if I remember right. Also calculating heat up rates etc. is more in line with heat transfer using like this equation <b>Q = UA(T core - T HS)</b>, <b>Q</b> = heat transfer rate, <b>U</b> heat transfer coefficient, <b>A</b> surface area, <b>T</b> temperture.

G

wow that guy killed his cpu with a shim is almost a bigger dearest comrade than you.
nml

TRENDING THREADS