[SOLVED] How to gain access to any folder in windows 10?

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
I am trying to change the icon for my spotify app, which you're apparently not allowed to do on the app itself, only the shortcut. I want to change the app icon itself in the taskbar and anywhere i am able to so my system dislpays a custom icon. But i am having issues writing to the folder that contains the spotify program files.
In my windows 10 system, spotify is installed in C:\Program FIles\WindowsApps\
The WindowsApps folder was access denied when i started trying to do this, but i was able to easily get access to that folder. My problem now is that i am unable to write anything inside of the files in the WindowsApps folder. Specifically i want to be able to write to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_1.134.694.0_x86__zpdnekdrzrea0
SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_1.134.694.0_x86__zpdnekdrzrea0 is the name of the folder containing all the spotify files.
I have tried giving myself permissions, i have tried using cmd as an admin, and i have tried using powershell as an admin, and even tried to use the -Force when trying to copy the file i want, but every attempt to write into this folder is denied. Does anyone know what i need to do to get write permissions for this folder?
I know one way i can absolutely force it, by installing a VM with linux and then move the file inside linux, or boot into a live cd, but thats extraneous and it will make the task of changing the icon hard. I need to be able to write to the file over and over again to test me icon(s) until i get it to look right.
Check this link for a screenshot: https://ibb.co/jh4kKsZ
if you look near the bottom left of the screenshot you can see i have spotify.exe with a custom icon, i just cant put it in the folder it needs to be in.

Solution
Even if you get access to this folder, you will have to replace the icon inside .EXE/.DLL file, using appropriate tools.

Don't use Store version of the application, then you can do whatever you want.

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
Even if you get access to this folder, you will have to replace the icon inside .EXE/.DLL file, using appropriate tools.

Don't use Store version of the application, then you can do whatever you want.
I actually didnt install it from the ms store, i used ninite to install a software pack and thats just what ended up happening. Never saw the ms store once.
But i uninstalled spotify from the ms store, because it was installed via the ms store some which way,
and reinstalled it with the downloadable exe from their site and that put the spotify program files in my appdata folder, which i was then able to customize the way i want. So this is actually the answer to my problem. I just wont use the ms store.