How to get 144Hz on a compatible monitor.

Mar 1, 2018
Okay so I’m building a PC and I wanna buy a new monitor that is 144Hz. The PC I’m building has an HDMI cable output but as I was told, HDMI only supports 60Hz. Is there a way to get an adaptor from HDMI➡️DisplayPort so I can run 144Hz? (Plug an HDMI cable into my PC, then plug that into an adaptor that plugs into my monitors DisplayPort to give me 144Hz?) will that work?

Solution
Yes the 1060 has a displayport connection 100% and should be the route you take.

I suggest doing research about displayport to familiarise yourself with the connection type and appearance then look at monitor reviews.

A modern 144hz monitor will have displayport.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Adapters are usually always limited, even from DP to DVI. Very difficult in finding an adapter that works even if adequate connections are available. Only means of finding if an adapter works for your intent is via buyer reviews because the description on specification on these adapters are vague specific and only ever refer to supported resolutions and nothing else. If you read closely to those comments regarding many adapters, you'll come across many people disappointed because themselves are after the same thing you are and never worked out.

As said, Displayport end to end is the best way forward

Whats your system specs can i ask?

Mar 1, 2018

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800x
GPU: 1060 6GB
RAM: 16GB
Storage: 2TB HDD
Motherboard: ASUS
Ultra Quiet Fan for CPU cooler
1000W power supply
Windows 10
Corsair Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid tower.

My buddy is building it so I’m not sure of the brands. But the monitor I have now only supports 60Hz so I wanna buy a 144Hz monitor. If the video card has a DisplayPort output I should be fine right?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes the 1060 has a displayport connection 100% and should be the route you take.

I suggest doing research about displayport to familiarise yourself with the connection type and appearance then look at monitor reviews.

A modern 144hz monitor will have displayport.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that'll be fine, reckon you'll be happy with it but don't make up your mind just yet, check out these also: https://www.144hzmonitors.com/gaming-monitor-list/

Click adaptive sync column to narrow down search to assort 'No' or Gsync.

If your interested in Gsync, https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/

Gsync is worth it from experience but it does cost more, but vanilla 144hz is fine too just Gsync helps with smoothing out playback

TRENDING THREADS