[SOLVED] How to get 5.1 audio from PC and Nintendo Switch?

Dustin97

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
My setup includes a Vizio 5.1 soundbar plugged into my LG TV via HDMI ARC, and my gaming consoles plugged into my TV. I am able to get surround sound from my PS4, PS3, Xbox One S, etc. but not my Nintendo Switch or my PC when I connect it to my TV. I have done some research and, if I'm not mistaken, believe this is because my PC and Switch do not use something like Dolby Digital but instead send an uncompressed signal to the TV, which then only sends a stereo signal to my soundbar. I know that I can buy a 5.1 soundcard for my PC to solve that issue, but is there something like an external soundcard that I could use to get 5.1 audio from the Switch, that I could also use on my PC? I know a receiver would solve all of my issues, but I cannot afford to purchase one at the moment and don't particularly care to, honestly.

Solution
Yeah you're correct about uncompressed audio from PCs unless you get a sound card that does Dolby Digital Live real-time encoding over optical which are available from Asus and Creative.

To marry a few devices to the soundbar or TV, whichever is more convenient, something like this might be possible.
https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-TOSLINK-Digital-Optical-Switcher/dp/B00G188Z7A

ARC is also limited to 2.1 uncompressed like optical is. eARC is the next generation allowing uncompressed multi channel surround to and from devices that use it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah you're correct about uncompressed audio from PCs unless you get a sound card that does Dolby Digital Live real-time encoding over optical which are available from Asus and Creative.

To marry a few devices to the soundbar or TV, whichever is more convenient, something like this might be possible.
https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-TOSLINK-Digital-Optical-Switcher/dp/B00G188Z7A

ARC is also limited to 2.1 uncompressed like optical is. eARC is the next generation allowing uncompressed multi channel surround to and from devices that use it.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS