[SOLVED] How can i get 5.1 series x, lg oled55c1ptb, yamaha htr2071

mrjaswatt

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
G'day guys, how are we all?
I'm hoping somebody has the same system I have and can help me out.
So I plug my series x into the TV, and can get 2 channel, but I can't seem to get 5.1, even with optical cord. When in volume and audio xbox settings and try to select 5.1 uncompressed the xbox says "there was a problem using this setting. Make sure your audio receiver supports it. Also make sure to choose at least one audio setting.
I have also gotten into TV's audio settings and have made it optical. Even when I try it with hdmi1 cable there is no luck.
I have done the 5.1 test on the Yamaha system, and that seems to work.
Would love some help with this, I am off work for a few days and would love some 4k 5.1 gaming!!

Solution
TV audio outputs are usually only two channel. There are exceptions with more expensive TV's or there's support for eARC between TV and Avr. If want full surround in your case you'll have to run the Xbox through the Avr then out to TV if your Avr has display out.

If TV can pass on Dolby compressed surround for Avr to decode then you'll set that for Xbox audio if possible. Not uncompressed which requires full bandwidth from eARC.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
TV audio outputs are usually only two channel. There are exceptions with more expensive TV's or there's support for eARC between TV and Avr. If want full surround in your case you'll have to run the Xbox through the Avr then out to TV if your Avr has display out.

If TV can pass on Dolby compressed surround for Avr to decode then you'll set that for Xbox audio if possible. Not uncompressed which requires full bandwidth from eARC.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're kidding me...!
The receiver does not support 4k, and I just spend A$450 on it.
Are there converters, or adapters I might be able to use?

According to specs it does?

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/htr-2071/index.html
  • HDMI® (4 in / 1 out) with 4K Ultra HD full support (4K / 60p [4:4:4]), HDR Video and BT.2020
Na no adapters can improve this if your avr is indeed not 4k capable. Hopefully it is if that's the correct model im seeing.

Is your Xbox capable of doing audio separately via optical to avr instead?

mrjaswatt

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
Your 4k TV can do higher than 60Hz can it? 60fps is still pretty good in 4k, that's if it means you get full surround sound then.
Yes, it can do 120hz.
I just took a couple of pictures of it, but I dont know how to upload pictures here .
But the xbox says "your TV setup supports up to native 4k at 120fps" and
"Your TV supports 4k uhd at 120hz".

optical is limited to 2 channel uncompressed, for more channels you have to use hdmi... nothing new
what you could try is hdmi splitter, so video will go to your TV and audio to you AVR
plug TV to out1 and AVR to out2