[SOLVED] How to get 8K resolution from I7 Surface Laptop 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2021
Hi

I have a Samsung 65" 8k TV supporting 8k over HDMI 2.1. I use it with a stationary pc with 8k resolution with no problem. But I have not managed to get it to work from a Surface laptop 3 I7 version (SL3). That means I have to use Remote desktop to access the SL3 on the 8k display and that is not very good, for instance running Microsoft Teams meetings is not working well with sound/picture support. How can I get the SL3 to run 8k resolution against the Samsung TV?

This is not for gaming, but for business applications like excel (8k gives you the possibility to see rather large spreadsheets...), so the refresh rate is not that important. I currently use a surface dock which has Display port support if that makes things easier.

I also would like to have advise on a HDMI 2.1 switch so I can have both the stationary pc and the SL3 connected to the Samsung display (the Samsung display has only one HDMI port that support HDMI 2.1).

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Not sure what you mean by "type".
your system has a graphical processing unit, whether it is a dedicated GPU or an onboard integrated GPU.
to determine what resolution, refresh rate, etc it can output you would check the type(make\model) of GPU it is and see what it's specifications state.

being a basic web browser laptop, i would guess it is a lower quality iGPU.
you should also be able to read the laptop's manual and see what it is capable of outputting.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi

I have a Samsung 65" 8k TV supporting 8k over HDMI 2.1. I use it with a stationary pc with 8k resolution with no problem. But I have not managed to get it to work from a Surface laptop 3 I7 version (SL3). That means I have to use Remote desktop to access the SL3 on the 8k display and that is not very good, for instance running Microsoft Teams meetings is not working well with sound/picture support. How can I get the SL3 to run 8k resolution against the Samsung TV?

This is not for gaming, but for business applications like excel (8k gives you the possibility to see rather large spreadsheets...), so the refresh rate is not that important. I currently use a surface dock which has Display port support if that makes things easier.

I also would like to have advise on a HDMI 2.1 switch so I can have both the stationary pc and the SL3 connected to the Samsung display (the Samsung display has only one HDMI port that support HDMI 2.1).

Thanks in advance!
Based on this -- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-laptop-3/8vfggh1r94tm?activetab=techspecs you have USB-C or the surface dock . The surface dock -- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-dock-2/8qd908364sg2?activetab=pivot:techspecstab says 4K support.

So how are you connecting the SL3 ?

Apr 1, 2021
Not sure what you mean by "type". It supports 2 x 4k at 60Hz if I remember correctly. Therefore I thought it might be possible to get 8K at 30Hz. Or use an active adapter or something to get the resolution.

Not sure what you mean by "type".
your system has a graphical processing unit, whether it is a dedicated GPU or an onboard integrated GPU.
to determine what resolution, refresh rate, etc it can output you would check the type(make\model) of GPU it is and see what it's specifications state.

being a basic web browser laptop, i would guess it is a lower quality iGPU.
you should also be able to read the laptop's manual and see what it is capable of outputting.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.