How to get a fis for this ?

I am having this problem with my Toshiba laptop - and MS sends me to
Toshiba - yet Toshiba has no clue...

I noticed that if I do not apply any patches to my unit - like reinstall Xp
from the Toshiba recovery CDs - all is well - as soon as I install "any"
security patch - video capture is no longer possible.

DS

----------------

from MS's knowledgebase:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 830363

Your video appears in the preview window for only a few seconds in your
video capture program

SYMPTOMS
If you use a video capture program, such as Microsoft Windows Movie Maker,
on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 and
Microsoft DirectX 9.0b, your video may appear in the preview window for only
a few seconds.
CAUSE
This problem occurs because a bug exists in the Microsoft DirectShow Smart
Tee filter. Therefore, this problem may occur when you run any video capture
program that uses the Smart Tee filter in DirectX 9.0b.
RESOLUTION
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended
to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to
systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive
additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this
problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows XP service
pack that contains this hotfix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support
Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product
Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit
the following Microsoft Web site:
;CNTACTMS]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];CNTACTMS

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support
calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a
specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will
apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the
specific update in question.

The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that
are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are
listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file
information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between
UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in
Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name
27-Oct-2003 23:13 6.5.2600.2026 260,608 Qcap.dllSTATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products
that are listed in the "Applies to" section of this article.

---

What are you using to capture with?