How To: Get a Web Domain and Unlimited Hosting for Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebiggiant

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
This is actually step 1 for scammers, spammers and other scummy types. No one (except my grandma) is going to trust a website with a .tk domain. And your free hosting will add some sort of ads, popup, etc.Do it right. Pay 10 or 12 bucks for a domain from a real domain registrar and 30 bucks a year for real hosting.

Lutfij

Titan
Yes, Novuake, All of their revenue is generated via adds that come up on your site. Its free yes but it has those annoying banners that come and advertise alot of "stuff" I know because I used the method mentioned in the article for my website back in 2004. Really ground breaking since we weren't able to make payments via online transfers for a paid, dedicated site with a desired extension.

typicalGeek

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
.tk domain = Tokelau. I'd never heard of it either. (It's a territory of New Zealand, 2011 census puts their population at just 1,411.)

schultzter

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

I've just signed up, out of curiousity, and from what I can gather:

1. dot.tk is going to make money by slowly badgering you into paying for your domain. They don't make it clear but it seems you don't really own the free domain so at some point they might hold it hostage unless you pay them.

2. HourB looks like they hold back some features on the free plan but so far I haven't seen any ads. I'll see what happens when I actually put a site there. Something I couldn't find is what the execution time limit is on PHP scripts (typically I've seen 60 seconds but I wouldn't be surprised if the free plan is much more limited than that).

I firmly believe you get what you pay for, so I'm not expecting much from a free domain or a free host. But we'll see. Could be good to test the waters and see what I can actually put together before I put down any money on a hosting service.

Also, I have to see I like HourB's control panel, compared to some of the others I've run across it's not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.