Question How to get an external HDD back to original format

kmham

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
I have an external USB 250GB hard drive that I normally just use for backing up pictures. A while back (like a year or so ago) I used this hard drive as an external "boot/recovery" device (I don't recall the specifics of this but the HDD has just been sitting since then). Now I'd like to use it again as a normal External USB HDD. But when I plugged this Ext HDD into my laptop about a week ago it only recognized 32GB. So I followed some commends online to format the Ext HDD, but now I can't even see this external HDD in File Explorer. I don't think I have destroyed it yet as you'll see in the pictures attached. I apologize as my skills with this stuff aren't great. I've tried a few different things and the Ext HDD still doesn't show in File Explorer (Note: I have Windows 10 Home). I've found some things online that walk through various steps using CMD prompt, but I'm stuck/lost.

The picture "DiskMgt" shows disk management without the external HDD plugged in so you can see what drives I have including partitions. The picture "DiskPart" shows the list disk command before and after I connected the Ext USB HDD.

Appreciate it if you can provide easy to follow steps as to how I can get this Ext HDD working again so it shows in File Explorer with its full 250GB capacity.

Link --> Pictures

Lutfij

Titan
Just make sure you've got all data backed up in case the procedure goes sideways for you.

select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=NTFS QUICK
assign
exit

For each step above, you hit enter before moving onto the next line.

I have an external USB 250GB hard drive that I normally just use for backing up pictures. A while back (like a year or so ago) I used this hard drive as an external "boot/recovery" device (I don't recall the specifics of this but the HDD has just been sitting since then). Now I'd like to use it again as a normal External USB HDD. But when I plugged this Ext HDD into my laptop about a week ago it only recognized 32GB. So I followed some commends online to format the Ext HDD, but now I can't even see this external HDD in File Explorer. I don't think I have destroyed it yet as you'll see in the pictures attached. I apologize as my skills with this stuff aren't great. I've tried a few different things and the Ext HDD still doesn't show in File Explorer (Note: I have Windows 10 Home). I've found some things online that walk through various steps using CMD prompt, but I'm stuck/lost.

The picture "DiskMgt" shows disk management without the external HDD plugged in so you can see what drives I have including partitions. The picture "DiskPart" shows the list disk command before and after I connected the Ext USB HDD.

Appreciate it if you can provide easy to follow steps as to how I can get this Ext HDD working again so it shows in File Explorer with its full 250GB capacity.

Link --> Pictures
As the first picture shows, there is no asterisk in the GPT column for Disk 1. It therefore contains an MBR partition. If you feel capable, I would suggest download a disk management program like Gparted; its an ISO that you mount on another usb stick. If you run it you should be able to create a new GPT partition table on the HDD and format it to NTFS which would give you full access to its capabilities.

kmham

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Just make sure you've got all data backed up in case the procedure goes sideways for you.

select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=NTFS QUICK
assign
exit

For each step above, you hit enter before moving onto the next line.
This worked perfectly! Thank you so much.