[SOLVED] How to get Android 9 Moto G6 USB icon

FredRdr88

Honorable
May 26, 2017
I'm trying to take my Motorola G6 phone back and forth from charging to data transfer but when I swipe I don't see an icon.

This question is mostly for people who have that particular phone. I can only have my USB as a charger. When I plug it into a PC, it just charged the battery via the USB port.

Solution
i have a g7 and have had issues getting my pc to go into data mode. it also defaults to charging.

i have scoured the settings looking for the usb settings so i could change but i have yet to find it. my guess is you have also had no luck finding it.

however, if you open the settings app and put usb into the search option at the top, you can call up the usb menu. you can't set any defaults but if plugged in, you can make the change you want to make. (i assume the g6 menu is similar to my g7 one, fingers crossed)

good luck

edit: as a side note i had better luck when i plugged it into motherboard usb ports on the back and not the front ports. it seemed to connect better and gave me fewer issues getting it to data mode

FredRdr88

Honorable
May 26, 2017
I'm trying to take my Motorola G6 phone back and forth from charging to data transfer but when I swipe I don't see an icon.

This question is mostly for people who have that particular phone. I can only have my USB as a charger. When I plug it into a PC, it just charged the battery via the USB port.
The manuals say to swipe down and tap USB, then a menu should pop up. I don't see USB - why, and if it's not there is there something I have to do - developer mode?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have a g7 and have had issues getting my pc to go into data mode. it also defaults to charging.

i have scoured the settings looking for the usb settings so i could change but i have yet to find it. my guess is you have also had no luck finding it.

however, if you open the settings app and put usb into the search option at the top, you can call up the usb menu. you can't set any defaults but if plugged in, you can make the change you want to make. (i assume the g6 menu is similar to my g7 one, fingers crossed)

good luck

edit: as a side note i had better luck when i plugged it into motherboard usb ports on the back and not the front ports. it seemed to connect better and gave me fewer issues getting it to data mode

Solution

FredRdr88

Honorable
May 26, 2017

good luck

Thanks, I can get that icon using your search suggestion, however I cannot change any of the settings. The radio button is set to no data transfer. At least I now know what the icon looks like even if I can't get get it to show a usable menu. The menu seems disabled?

FredRdr88

Honorable
May 26, 2017
second option is to try the motorola drivers

https://support.motorola.com/uk/en/drivers

this might let the pc connect and actually be able to communicate with the phone. i grabbed them myself since we're on the topic but have not tried them yet. good luck, hope they fix it.
My PC's have the drivers. It's that I cannot get the USB icon to show on the PHONE, it's not a PC issue. Again, when I swipe, there is no USB icon. I don't think downloading PC drivers would change the phone. Motorola's phone, the G6 has so many problems, it doesn't surprise me. The phone constantly has the display rotated incorrectly - it gets hung up. It's not a good phone.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i understand the problem as mine was similar.

wish i could offer more but that's what i did to help myself with the t7.

only other thing i can offer is to remove the sd card and use an adapter to plug it into your pc. transfer what needs to be and then put it back in the phone sadly that's about all i can offer :(

good luck and i hope you find a solution.

FredRdr88

Honorable
May 26, 2017
I tapped the build icon 7 times and I now have the phone in Developer Mode. Then I turned USB debugging on. But I cannot get the No Data Transfer radio button to go to File Transfer even if I enable the File Transfer as the default behavior.

Neither windows or Linux sees the phone - at least Windows used to see the phone even if I couldn't transfer files. And Linux cannot see the phone under MTP browsing. So I'm in Developer Mode but still no file transfer radio button able to be turned on. It's always on No Data Transfer.

It allows me to change the default behavior of the phone to File Transfer. But it won't allow the actual File Transfer radio button to be selected on the other screen that needs to be set to File Transfer.

FredRdr88

Honorable
May 26, 2017
I just plugged my phone into the pc and THEN set the default mode to File Transfer and the pc then or (perhaps earlier) installed some driver and now I can see the phone and view and transfer files.

Only problem is I naively selected 24GB of files to copy and it took too long, then when I hit cancel, it just says Processing and never finishes.

I guess the lesson to be learned is when you do a backup of the phone, do a little at a time. Now that it's finished I'll just do like 5 directories at a time. It backed those up in less than a minute.
So perhaps yesterday, I had just not had my cable hooked up when I put the phone's default USB into File transfer mode.