Question How to get fast/faster File Server Transfers - Where is my bottleneck?

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
Here is what I am dealing with.

I probably conveluted everything but this is what I've been dealt and my work arounds.

I teach a class computer lab. I am running a TRUNAS set up in the classroom. I set up my own router BECAUSE, the hardline used to supply my TRUNAS with internet is different from the WIFI the computers use already to connect to the internet. There is not enough ethernet ports around the class to connect the computers to the TRUNAS, so I brought my own router, Linksys WRT3200, but I figured with a basic router, the wifi would be awful with 32 computer simultaneously connecting to it.

So i attached ANOTHER router, Linksys EA9500 cause I assume it could handle more devices on the network. BUT, the problem is I can only receive Internet when my WRT is directly connected to the school's internet. If I connect the EA9500 it won't connect to the internet at all. Anyone have an idea why? My guess is that the schools modem assigned an address to the WRT and won't release any more ips for the EA9500? I'm still ametuer at best with networking but I am always curious and willing to learn.

Anyway, this is my set up and it has been working so far for 2-3 transfers at a time but I would like in an ideal work to transfer hundreds of GB at a time that won't take up an entire school day. I watched a bunch of videos about home networking and how a gigabit network card is ideal for faster speeds. Could anyone clarify for me, would the card help for sending information out or receiving information. Like wouldn't you need a network card for both your NAS and computer in order to utilize those speeds?

If anyone could to, is there a simplier LAN network set up than the one I jerryrigged up together?

You have multiple issues it appears.

First no matter what you do wifi is not going to be fast doing file transfers and the more device you try to run at the same time the more they will degrade each other. It only to a point matters how many routers you run since they all share the same limited radio bandwidth.

You likely need to run the linksys as a AP rather than a router. You might also have some IP conflicts.

If you look at only ethernet based transfers in theory all the ports on the router can send 1gbit in and 1gbit out all at the same time. So the for lan ports could transfer 4gbit of data. The ports themselves are not the bottleneck.
This though does not represent they way data is commonly transferred between machines.

Your problem would be if all the data is coming from the NAS and the NAS only has a 1gbit connection then the maximum amount of data it can send to all the pc combined is 1gbit no matter how the pc are connected.

kanewolf

Titan
Here is what I am dealing with.

I probably conveluted everything but this is what I've been dealt and my work arounds.

I teach a class computer lab. I am running a TRUNAS set up in the classroom. I set up my own router BECAUSE, the hardline used to supply my TRUNAS with internet is different from the WIFI the computers use already to connect to the internet. There is not enough ethernet ports around the class to connect the computers to the TRUNAS, so I brought my own router, Linksys WRT3200, but I figured with a basic router, the wifi would be awful with 32 computer simultaneously connecting to it.

So i attached ANOTHER router, Linksys EA9500 cause I assume it could handle more devices on the network. BUT, the problem is I can only receive Internet when my WRT is directly connected to the school's internet. If I connect the EA9500 it won't connect to the internet at all. Anyone have an idea why? My guess is that the schools modem assigned an address to the WRT and won't release any more ips for the EA9500? I'm still ametuer at best with networking but I am always curious and willing to learn.

Anyway, this is my set up and it has been working so far for 2-3 transfers at a time but I would like in an ideal work to transfer hundreds of GB at a time that won't take up an entire school day. I watched a bunch of videos about home networking and how a gigabit network card is ideal for faster speeds. Could anyone clarify for me, would the card help for sending information out or receiving information. Like wouldn't you need a network card for both your NAS and computer in order to utilize those speeds?

If anyone could to, is there a simplier LAN network set up than the one I jerryrigged up together?
First, you REALLY need to coordinate the school IT department. You have two "rogue" WIFI sources which compete with their WIFI.
What is the hardware for the clients? Chromebooks? Normal desktops?
You definitely SHOULD have a wired connection between the clients and your NAS.
Is 30 thumb drives with your data an option? You populate those drives from your golden copy then sneaker-net them to the clients. They can all be read on the clients in parallel.

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
I made a request for some kind of management or server storage to use for the lab but the IT on site is kind of behind on that sort of thing. They suggested using a host PC to have a network share. I don't know exactly the viability or speed of that kind of transfer. I am working on wiring each computer to the NAS eliminating the need for the routers. It's just taking time wiring each PC the correct length CAT5e.

Does sneaker net literally mean just using a thumb drive from my pc and transfering data from that to the other pcs? If so; it just comes down to man power and time. To sit there and wait for file transfers while I have a room to manage and things to grade. Also forgot to mention the lab is literally almost starting from ground zero so nothing is in place where it should be. I have to PIECE it all together from scratch. I'd rather just have a network drive that students can access the files they need and offload the footage they have within their class period. Moving 5-10Gb a day.

First, you REALLY need to coordinate the school IT department. You have two "rogue" WIFI sources which compete with their WIFI.
What is the hardware for the clients? Chromebooks? Normal desktops?
You definitely SHOULD have a wired connection between the clients and your NAS.
Is 30 thumb drives with your data an option? You populate those drives from your golden copy then sneaker-net them to the clients. They can all be read on the clients in parallel.

kanewolf

Titan
I made a request for some kind of management or server storage to use for the lab but the IT on site is kind of behind on that sort of thing. They suggested using a host PC to have a network share. I don't know exactly the viability or speed of that kind of transfer. I am working on wiring each computer to the NAS eliminating the need for the routers. It's just taking time wiring each PC the correct length CAT5e.

Does sneaker net literally mean just using a thumb drive from my pc and transfering data from that to the other pcs? If so; it just comes down to man power and time. To sit there and wait for file transfers while I have a room to manage and things to grade. Also forgot to mention the lab is literally almost starting from ground zero so nothing is in place where it should be. I have to PIECE it all together from scratch. I'd rather just have a network drive that students can access the files they need and offload the footage they have within their class period. Moving 5-10Gb a day.
Yes, by "sneaker-net" I meant plugging a USB drive into each client. That is why I mentioned 30 USB drives. You wouldn't wait, you would just plug, click and move on. By the time you did that to the last client, the first one would be done and you go around ejecting the drives.
If you want shared storage, then you need to get the wired network in-place. A single switch is what is needed. Not the jumble of hardware you have now. A 24 or 48 port gigabit switch.