[SOLVED] How to get higher GPU usage ?

Jan 1, 2023
I’ve just gotten a new Rtx 3060 but it seems to be lacking in gpu usage. While playing mw2, warzone and gta etc im experiencing 60% utilisation and getting around 80-100 frames and some stuttering. When I run a benchmark I’m getting 100% usage aswell as on hunter call of the wild I’m also getting 100% which confuses me. I’m not getting any signs of bottle necking due to my cpu usage only being at around 45% . Any ideas?

Solution
Did you use DDU prior to removing the RX570 to replace it with the RTX3060? If not, that's your first problem. Reinstall your GPU drivers after using DDU in an elevated command, with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site. The other problem is this;
Ram: 16gb 2133mhz 8x2
You'd actually see an uplift in performance from your platform by swapping the rams out for a 2x8GB DDR4-3200MHz dual channel ram kit, with tight timings.

PSU: Corsair CV 550
You have the wrong PSU for the job, as it's a VS series PSU with a different label. Even if it was brand new, I'd have suggested to replace it with something more reliable. Considering that it must've powered the RX570 for a number of years, that's a no-no.

Chassis...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

I’ve just gotten a new Rtx 3060
If you just got this discrete GPU what were you working with prior to the RTX3060?

Reactions: Owenkeza21

Lutfij

Titan
Did you use DDU prior to removing the RX570 to replace it with the RTX3060? If not, that's your first problem. Reinstall your GPU drivers after using DDU in an elevated command, with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site. The other problem is this;
You'd actually see an uplift in performance from your platform by swapping the rams out for a 2x8GB DDR4-3200MHz dual channel ram kit, with tight timings.

You have the wrong PSU for the job, as it's a VS series PSU with a different label. Even if it was brand new, I'd have suggested to replace it with something more reliable. Considering that it must've powered the RX570 for a number of years, that's a no-no.

Chassis: https://www.ebuyer.com/826971-eg-wider-x3-mid-tower-gaming-case-eg-wider-x3
I'm having issues visiting that site. Do you have the full tempered glass front panel variant or the one with the mesh with the LED fans?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution
You really do not want to see 100% gpu utilization or it would show that you are gpu limited. Ditto for the cpu.

A 45% cpu utilization might suggest that you are not cpu limited. But you may well be single thread limited on many games.

If your new 3060 did not improve much, you may be more cpu limited than you think,
Stuttering indicates a temporary lack of a needed resource, and I think it is the cpu.
Run the cpu-Z bench and look at the single thread performance rating.
You should see something like 515 if all is operating properly:
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/1sllkv

Jan 1, 2023
You really do not want to see 100% gpu utilization or it would show that you are gpu limited. Ditto for the cpu.

A 45% cpu utilization might suggest that you are not cpu limited. But you may well be single thread limited on many games.

If your new 3060 did not improve much, you may be more cpu limited than you think,
Stuttering indicates a temporary lack of a needed resource, and I think it is the cpu.
Run the cpu-Z bench and look at the single thread performance rating.
You should see something like 515 if all is operating properly:
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/1sllkv
My Single thread is 477.4 and my multi thread is 3953.5

Jan 1, 2023

Chassis: https://www.ebuyer.com/826971-eg-wider-x3-mid-tower-gaming-case-eg-wider-x3
I'm having issues visiting that site. Do you have the full tempered glass front panel variant or the one with the mesh with the LED fans?

Will I have to install my old graphics card to DDU?

And are you sure Im going to have to buy a new PSU because that would be annoying and expensive considering I just bought this 3060 but its fine if I will have to buy a new one.

• Window Side Panel
  • Black Steel Frame & Chassis
  • Mobo Support: ATX, Micro ATX, ITX -----> for my case.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023

When I turn my grpahics usage goes up (obviously) but It wont use the usage when i want fps?

Ive over clocked it myself

should I still use it?

What have you done in terms of the OC? Often PBO is the better bet. If you have just set an all core OC, then that's sometimes at a disadvantage in terms of gaming. Having the CPU boost higher with 1-4 cores will get better FPS.

Try with PBO and see what results you get. Compare them to your OC results. You could try out CTR 2.1. It's a pretty useful utility. Just make sure to set your bios to default before beginning the CTR diagnosis.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Im sorry im not that smart
Ok, don't go there, please.

The gpu will 'drive' at its max speed on the graphics highway.
If the highway is flat, with no hills, then the engine doesn't need to work harder than it already does.
If the highway has a number of steep slopes, then the engine has to work harder to try to stay at max speed on said slopes.
Thus, if the 'road' isn't challenging, then the engine doesn't need to use all its muscle; it'd be wasting energy with nothing to gain.

Jan 1, 2023
Ok, don't go there, please.

The gpu will 'drive' at its max speed on the graphics highway.
If the highway is flat, with no hills, then the engine doesn't need to work harder than it already does.
If the highway has a number of steep slopes, then the engine has to work harder to try to stay at max speed on said slopes.
Thus, if the 'road' isn't challenging, then the engine doesn't need to use all its muscle; it'd be wasting energy with nothing to gain.
Im sorry but I dont understand what you mean by "go there"?

Will I have to install my old graphics card to DDU?

And are you sure Im going to have to buy a new PSU because that would be annoying and expensive considering I just bought this 3060 but its fine if I will have to buy a new one.

• Window Side Panel
  • Black Steel Frame & Chassis
  • Mobo Support: ATX, Micro ATX, ITX -----> for my case.
Yes, do swap out the CV. It's a poor PSU meant only for office systems. No-one here would recommend for a gaming build.

Jan 1, 2023
What have you done in terms of the OC? Often PBO is the better bet. If you have just set an all core OC, then that's sometimes at a disadvantage in terms of gaming. Having the CPU boost higher with 1-4 cores will get better FPS.

Try with PBO and see what results you get. Compare them to your OC results. You could try out CTR 2.1. It's a pretty useful utility. Just make sure to set your bios to default before beginning the CTR diagnosis.
I got simular results with singular thread: 480.6 and multi thread:3934.6. If the pbo is the safest option I will stick with it.

I got simular results with singular thread: 480.6 and multi thread:3934.6. If the pbo is the safest option I will stick with it.

IMO, PBO is better than an all core OC. AS you often lose out on a couple of hundred mhz. I go with what gives me most FPS.

RYZEN 5 3600 PBO vs Manual OverClock - YouTube

As mentioned, CTR 2.1 might be a solution for you.

For the PSU any 600w+ like Corsair RMX/RMi/RM/TXM, EVGA G2/G3 , Superflower Leadex III. You want a strong PSU, that will last you from build to build. The VS could crap out at any stage with your rig.

edit: a 550w would do, but having some overhead is good for more power hungry parts you might upgrade to.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes I think it was very good.
Some food for thought: while the current ram kit is considered 'slow' for Ryzen, that doesn't apply to one: the 5800X3D. I wouldn't recommend a new ram kit, if you were thinking to do that.
The problem with the X3D is that it's the hottest running AM4 Ryzen due to physics - the cache AMD added on. So, IF you go that route, do not panic when you see what it thermally operates at.

Reactions: Owenkeza21
Jan 1, 2023
Im thinking about getting 16gb or ram 3200mhz and a psu 750 watts. Any good? Also what should I get in terms of 80 plus. Gold, silver, titanium?

Edit: Thank you all for spending your own time helping me :)!

Last edited: