[SOLVED] How to get it to work. 750ti, asrock z97 ex4

Jul 26, 2019
Hello, im currently putting my pc back together and am running into an issue. Cant get the pc to boot up once i insert the gpu. Zotac gtx750ti 2gb, and a Asrock z97 extreme 4. The gpu works fine in my other board (m5a78l-usb/3) but not in this one, even though it's supposedly compatible. We've cleared the cmos? and updated the bios as well. The gpu doesn't have any power ports on its side either, it just inserts directly into the board.
Any insight would be very appreciated.

Solution
Pcie_pwr 1 should be a supemental power for when you run multiple or high draw gpus, like some of the older rx480's could draw over 90w from the pcie slot. At 70w and a single card, it shouldn't need to be powered, but it can't hurt to try.
What is the EXACT model of the card you have?

What is the exact model of the PSU you are trying to use with this configuration?

Clearing the CMOS may not be good enough.

Turn off the power. Disconnect the PSU from the wall. Switch the PSU to the off position on the back of the PSU.

Install the card.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery, so if it does on your board, wait to install the graphics card until later.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

Jul 26, 2019
also, formerly it had a zotac gtx 770 inserted into the board, but i had a psu go bad. im lacking the proper pcie cable to power it with the current psu im using. the board and cpu were unharmed by the psu going out ( its the pc i'm using to post this.)

Ok, so that card doesn't require any supplemental power. That's good. One less problem to worry about.

Are you sure you're connecting the display cable to the graphics card, and not the motherboard?

Try the process I listed above.

Are you using any display adapters to change from one type of output to another? Like HDMI to VGA, HDMI to DP, etc?

Jul 26, 2019
Nope, no adapters that i can see, just hdmi. I wont be able to test it quite yet, since im actively using the pc at the moment. The person thats working on it is gonna be busy for a little bit.

Jul 26, 2019
Screenshot_20190726-205028_Adobe_Acrobat.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pcie_pwr 1 should be a supemental power for when you run multiple or high draw gpus, like some of the older rx480's could draw over 90w from the pcie slot. At 70w and a single card, it shouldn't need to be powered, but it can't hurt to try.

Solution
You do have the graphics card installed in the PCIe2 slot, right?

And the memory is installed in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket?

And the ATX12v1 8 pin connector is connected to the power supply EPS 8 pin cable?

PCIe pwr1 is only needed when more than three graphics cards are installed according to the manual.

Have you had this board running/functional, could POST and boot into Windows, at ANY time before this new card?