Question How To Get Maximum Out Of Your Phone Camera

itsmaverick

Commendable
Apr 7, 2017
Hi there everyone,

I have been following this platform for a lot of queries & entertainment and knowledge for quite sometime until today, when I decided to post my own question.

I am thinking to start a YouTube channel to pass my free time & make a few bucks too, who hates that.

The thing is, I am tight on budget and cannot afford a DSLR or digital camera right away from my pocket so, I am planning on using my android cell phone until I can purchase a proper camera setup.

Now, I have an HTC One cell phone that supports Full HD Video recording which is 1080p but the thing is, when I record and transfer it to my laptop, I am not satisfied with the result, like, like it doesn't seem like Full HD, like there are little spots in the video like when we watch a video in low resolution.

So, I need help from you peeps. Anybody?

Sagar_20

Distinguished
For a beginner, a smartphone camera should be fine, however for video blogging and travel kind of videos, it's recommended to have a phone with optical image stabilization. That is really important.

I don't know how bad hTC 1 is, but if on a tight budget, you can consider upgrading to phones like Google Pixel 2 or may be Galaxy S8 Plus or Oneplus 6T /7. They are not expensive and have excellent cameras. Can also be bought refurbished or used.

Investing on a DSLR could be a big mistake. Even youtubers tell their audience to first focus on content and audio, and then on video quality.

Though, in most phones it's been seen that installing google camera greatly enhances the picture quality (if you are lucky enough to install it) but even that wouldn't help if the phone has ancient camera lens and processor.

To know more, go to youtube and search for "Google camera vs Stock" and you'll know what i'm talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: itsmaverick

USAFRet

Titan
Do NOT zoom in on picture/video quality, or the mechanics of getting uber quality video.
Content is where your efforts need to go.

Unless your utube is centered on actual camera quality and reviews, most of your audience will not see a difference between the camera in your HTC or a $10,000 Nikon.

But if your content is not engaging and compelling, I don't care how good the quality is. I'm not coming back.

Reactions: itsmaverick

itsmaverick

Commendable
Apr 7, 2017
For a beginner, a smartphone camera should be fine, however for video blogging and travel kind of videos, it's recommended to have a phone with optical image stabilization. That is really important.

I don't know how bad hTC 1 is, but if on a tight budget, you can consider upgrading to phones like Google Pixel 2 or may be Galaxy S8 Plus or Oneplus 6T /7. They are not expensive and have excellent cameras. Can also be bought refurbished or used.

Investing on a DSLR could be a big mistake. Even youtubers tell their audience to first focus on content and audio, and then on video quality.

Though, in most phones it's been seen that installing google camera greatly enhances the picture quality (if you are lucky enough to install it) but even that wouldn't help if the phone has ancient camera lens and processor.

To know more, go to youtube and search for "Google camera vs Stock" and you'll know what i'm talking about.
Thanks for the headsup, I am definetly going to try the Google camera thing, while this phone's camera is also great, I have used it outdoors and the result is always amazing and it supports Full HD resolution that is 1080p, I was just concerned about its quality indoors, maybe it can be because of not having a proper lighting system because phone cameras are known to require it.

itsmaverick

Commendable
Apr 7, 2017
Tripod, good lighting, and a good story.

A tripod or similar is required, because nothing is more annoying than video that shakes and jumps around.
Good lighting, because the phone cameras require it.
Good story, to keep them coming back.
Yea thanks for the reply mate, I have already got a small tripod/guerrilla pod & a lav mic commonly known as a clip mic. Now, what I need is a lighting setup as phone cameras are I think known to require it and once I have a decent lighting setup, I think the video quality might increase with the same phone as it already supports Full HD.