[SOLVED] How to get more faster speed to boot windows 10?

Oct 15, 2020
I have recently bought Asrock B460M pro4. Cpu intel core i5 10600k. Ram gskill 3000 mhz with spd 2133 mhz. Storage nvme ssd 970evo plus. I want to boot windows 10 within just 5 to 6 sec. Can I achieve it?... To get more faster to boot windows 10, what should I do... Can this motherboard capable to boot more faster than other motherboard????

Solution
Fast startup has nothing at all to do with the BIOS settings. That is completely related to Windows fast startup/hybrid sleep routine, and is not related to the "fast boot" in the BIOS. And, it's a pile of crap. I recommend ALWAYS disabling hybrid sleep/fast startup by disabling hibernation, for anything that isn't strictly a tablet or notebook, and I USUALLY disable it on notebooks as well.

If your B450 Mortar isn't showing the setting in the BIOS then it's likely/possible that your configuration is legacy, not UEFI. If the configuration and Windows installation are not FULL UEFI then that setting may not be visible. If it is a full GPT partition and UEFI configuration and installation, and the setting is still not there, then it is...
If you already have an NVME boot drive, and if you have fast boot enabled in the BIOS, then that's it. There is nothing else you can do to make it faster really other than making sure you have the memory XMP enabled AND that the memory controller fast boot is also enabled so that it isn't trying to retrain the memory every time you boot.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the deal is with everybody worrying about how fast the boot times are. You shouldn't be needing to reboot the system often anyhow.

Oct 15, 2020
If you already have an NVME boot drive, and if you have fast boot enabled in the BIOS, then that's it. There is nothing else you can do to make it faster really other than making sure you have the memory XMP enabled AND that the memory controller fast boot is also enabled so that it isn't trying to retrain tjus
If you already have an NVME boot drive, and if you have fast boot enabled in the BIOS, then that's it. There is nothing else you can do to make it faster really other than making sure you have the memory XMP enabled AND that the memory controller fast boot is also enabled so that it isn't trying to retrain the memory every time you boot.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the deal is with everybody worrying about how fast the boot times are. You shouldn't be needing to reboot the system often anyhow.

he memory every time you boot.

Enable "Fast Boot" in your BIOS, if it has a setting of that name.
In that case I noticed my motherboard capable to boot windows 10 within 10 seconds.... Somehow it take 8 to 9 sec after enabling fast boot in my asrock motherboard. If I want to little faster than before, then should I increase ram speed or disable other boot devices such that cd rom, pxe language boot, etc?

Use NVME.

Make sure UEFI mode and settings are enabled in the BIOS.

Make sure fast boot is enabled on the boot devices menu.

Make sure the XMP memory profile is enabled.

Make sure fast start for the memory controller, in the advanced memory settings section, is enabled.

Make sure that only partial USB initialization is enabled in the boot settings.

Make sure that S.M.A.R.T checking during POST process is disabled.

Remove all drives from the boot order list, disable, except for Windows boot manager and the drive that contains the Windows boot manager, unless you are booting from some other OS.

Aside from that, there really isn't much of anything worth worrying about AND as I said before, unless you are constantly restarting (And if you are, WHY the heck are you doing that) then the few seconds it takes to boot windows shouldn't be on ANYBODY's list of priorities when it comes to tweaking their system. Who cares if it takes an extra two seconds to boot windows. There is 86, 400 seconds in a day, taking 30 seconds or less to boot up Windows isn't going to cause anybody some irreparable harm or kill them.

If restarting Windows is taking up that much of your day, stop restarting all the time. It isn't necessary. Neither is shutting the system down each day UNLESS you live in a region where you get daily thunderstorms and have to shut down and unplug to protect your hardware. That's the only reason I can see for daily or multiple daily shut down routines. For restarts, IDK, go take a pee while it's restarting or something if it truly hurts your feelings that much to have to wait. It's really a solution to a problem that doesn't matter or even exist.

ALL modern consumer and HEDT type motherboards have a fast boot setting in the BIOS, and have, for many years.
Mine... a B450 Mortar.... doesn't. Is it called something different?

The GB b350m gaming 3 I had before did have such a setting. It didn't seem to make much difference though...either way all I recall is how 'amazingly fast' it was compared to the FX6300 AM3+ system I had previously.

Fast startup has nothing at all to do with the BIOS settings. That is completely related to Windows fast startup/hybrid sleep routine, and is not related to the "fast boot" in the BIOS. And, it's a pile of crap. I recommend ALWAYS disabling hybrid sleep/fast startup by disabling hibernation, for anything that isn't strictly a tablet or notebook, and I USUALLY disable it on notebooks as well.

If your B450 Mortar isn't showing the setting in the BIOS then it's likely/possible that your configuration is legacy, not UEFI. If the configuration and Windows installation are not FULL UEFI then that setting may not be visible. If it is a full GPT partition and UEFI configuration and installation, and the setting is still not there, then it is the first one I have seen on any recent motherboard model and I guess it wouldn't be entirely out of line for some of these kinds of settings to not be available on the very lowest chipsets or the bottom models on any given chipset, but I don't think that Mortar qualifies as either of those so I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't due to not being a UEFI configuration in some way.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I have recently bought Asrock B460M pro4. Cpu intel core i5 10600k. Ram gskill 3000 mhz with spd 2133 mhz. Storage nvme ssd 970evo plus. I want to boot windows 10 within just 5 to 6 sec. Can I achieve it?... To get more faster to boot windows 10, what should I do... Can this motherboard capable to boot more faster than other motherboard????
Just like this:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-windows-10-boot-time,5810.html

Basically, reduce it to bare essentials, and optimize the system for that one particular measurement.

If your B450 Mortar isn't showing the setting in the BIOS then it's likely/possible that your configuration is legacy, not UEFI. If the configuration and Windows installation are not FULL UEFI then that setting may not be visible.
Nope...full UEFI, no legacy, windows on a GPT partition, and Safe Boot enabled. The whole ball-o-wax. Still nothing that says 'fast start' in BIOS. But the BIOS doesn't even have a Compatibility Mode, or at least nothing labeled as such. Instead it has a 'windows enhanced' mode. Like 386 enhanced mode I thought? nope. i'm pretty sure DISABLING that is just compatibility mode. So in a similar fashion, Fast Boot could be hidden in some other setting with a name I'm not catching the drift of.

And I can agree that Windows' prefetch, as "fast startup" used to be called, is dodgy pile of...whatever. It's always breaking and unbreaking on my system; it seems with every update pushed by Microsoft. But when it works...it is sweet with very much faster startups, although shut downs can be extremely tiresome if I don't quit all open apps first. But I didn't recall OP limiting his quest to BIOS tweaks only...he said something about "anything I can do". That is one thing.

And if you want to disable it, just unchecking it doesn't quite do it. You have to disable the service too. Good luck finding it.. they change the name to keep it a guess.

klooger28

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2013
Nope...full UEFI, no legacy, windows on a GPT partition, and Safe Boot enabled. The whole ball-o-wax. Still nothing that says 'fast start' in BIOS. But the BIOS doesn't even have a Compatibility Mode, or at least nothing labeled as such. Instead it has a 'windows enhanced' mode. Like 386 enhanced mode I thought? nope. i'm pretty sure DISABLING that is just compatibility mode. So in a similar fashion, Fast Boot could be hidden in some other setting with a name I'm not catching the drift of.

And I can agree that Windows' prefetch, as "fast startup" used to be called, is dodgy pile of...whatever. It's always breaking and unbreaking on my system; it seems with every update pushed by Microsoft. But when it works...it is sweet with very much faster startups, although shut downs can be extremely tiresome if I don't quit all open apps first. But I didn't recall OP limiting his quest to BIOS tweaks only...he said something about "anything I can do". That is one thing.

And if you want to disable it, just unchecking it doesn't quite do it. You have to disable the service too. Good luck finding it.. they change the name to keep it a guess.
I have an asrock b550m pro4, and no sign of a "fast boot" setting anywhere either, I do have an ultra fast boot, but I have heard bad things about that.

Ultra fast boot should only be used in cases where you are certain your BIOS configuration is set entirely the way you need it to be and there is no likely situation where you are going to need to access the BIOS in the near future, AND, you have created a back up of your BIOS configuration profile (On boards that HAVE the ability to create a backup of the current settings, as a profile that can later be reloaded, generally for overclocking purposes).

That way if it becomes necessary you can simply reset the BIOS by pulling the CMOS battery for five minutes or jumping the reset cmos pins with the jumper, so that you can get in. Personally, I've never had a problem getting into the BIOS by spamming the delete or F2 keys at power on until it comes up into the BIOS when ultra fast restart is enabled, but I know a lot of users have found it nearly impossible to get in there. Personally I don't see the point because like I said, the extra two seconds between a normal boot and an ultra fast boot aren't going to change anybody's life for the worse, but whatever. To each their own.

We had a guy here recently who swore he can tell the diff between 600fps and 700fps.
To the point of making a difference in his gameplay.
And i remember an episode of Jays2Cents...he and a couple other players tested their ability to differentiate FPS. In a blind test they couldn't differientiate 100 and 144...they could occasionaly 75 to 100. They had to get below 60FPS to differentiate reliably between either 100 or 144. This was before the most recent, super-high refresh monitors of course.

I'd really like to see this guy in a blind test...and are there any monitors with a 600hz refresh? much less 700hz. I thought the more recent 360hz monitors are tops. Not to mention game fps caps come into play.

The guys in Jays test also considered themselves pretty discriminating e-sports gamers, btw.

I don't believe that any of those arguments is even remotely in the same conversation or type of consideration as the difference between an 8 second boot and a 10 second boot. One can actually have an effect on things, especially if you don't have a well suited monitor with the proper sync capabilities, and even in some cases if you do when it comes to not having tearing, but instead, just general "smoothness". Whether that's verifiable or not is entirely up to individual perceptions. It IS a thing, so whatever. I agree, it's also pretty much a moot point because over 120hz I have still never seen any proof that anybody can reliably detect it or point out the difference, but it's still completely a different type of discussion than whether two seconds of your life once a day (Or once every few days or weeks for many of us) should even be a consideration worth spending more than three seconds worrying about.

More time, by far, has been spent on this thread than the amount of time lost to those two seconds over the course of an entire year, most likely.

USAFRet

Titan
I want to boot windows 10 within just 5 to 6 sec. Can I achieve it?
Only one drive, an Intel Optane 905p.
Disable ALL other boot options. No LAN, no USB.
1 stick of 4GB RAM.
Turn off ALL services and startups not need to actually boot. No AV, no Steam, nada.
No GPU, just the iGPU.
Disable Numlock.
Disable BIOS beeps.
etc, etc, etc.

All outlined here:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-windows-10-boot-time,5810.html

Beat that 4.9 sec.
(and have an unusable system)

Reactions: Phaaze88
I won't argue with that. What is important to one person, might not matter at all to the entire rest of the world, and there is never any accounting for the triviality of that fact. Including what I myself might in some cases find important, not to exclude myself from the scope of the comment.

USAFRet

Titan
As with many things, getting to that last Nth% involves increasing levels of money, and decreasing levels of user friendly.

Want a car that will do a 6 second 1/4 mile? Apply more money, and remove actual usefulness.
Want a MACH 3 aircraft? Add money.
Want a 5 second boot time, instead of 10 seconds? Add money, and remove functionality.