Question How to get my PS3 to display using an HDMI to VGA converter?

May 2, 2019
The monitor I'm using is pretty old and only has VGA input so I got a HDMI to VGA converter as I saw other people using it online.

My issue is that the monitor doesn't seem to detect the PS3 when connected, or rather the PS3 is refusing to give any output at all.

I connected the HDMI end to my laptop and it displays on the Monitor so the cable or the converter doesn't seem to be the problem and my PS3 displays onto TVs if using direct HDMI.

Is the PS3 blocking the signal somehow? If so is there any way to get past this issue?

May 2, 2019
Which converter? It needs to be an active one (have power in) for it to work,straight port conversions do nothing.

Here's an image of the converter

I saw a few videos online that show the PS3 displaying directly onto a monitor without a power supply and using the same converter so I assumed it would work directly.

But if need be, is there any way to supply power to this converter to get an output?

But if need be, is there any way to supply power to this converter to get an output?
It only needs power because it has circuitry in it,if it doesn't have any it doesn't need any power and can't use it in any way.
I saw a few videos online that show the PS3 displaying directly onto a monitor without a power supply and using the same converter so I assumed it would work directly.
Well maybe the monitor in the videos had a digital VGA port,normally VGA ports are analog but some devices can take digital inputs, that's why you have hdmi to vga cables and then you have converters.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Here's an image of the converter

I've never seen a non-powered digital to analog (HDMI to VGA) 'work' flawlessly. Typically, a device is powered via USB.

HDMI has 'power' in it, but it's rare an adapter would be be configured to be powered this way. Theoretically possible, but I'd be surprised.

Well maybe the monitor in the videos had a digital VGA port,normally VGA ports are analog but some devices can take digital inputs, that's why you have hdmi to vga cables and then you have converters.

VGA is strictly analog, there is no "digital" VGA that I'm aware of.

Where did you buy this adapter? How were customer reviews? I'd expect a non-powered device to be full of negative reviews that it simply didn't 'work', as there's no ambiguity there.

May 2, 2019
It only needs power because it has circuitry in it,if it doesn't have any it doesn't need any power and can't use it in any way.

I've never seen a non-powered digital to analog (HDMI to VGA) 'work' flawlessly. Typically, a device is powered via USB.

HDMI has 'power' in it, but it's rare an adapter would be be configured to be powered this way. Theoretically possible, but I'd be surprised.

VGA is strictly analog, there is no "digital" VGA that I'm aware of.

Where did you buy this adapter? How were customer reviews? I'd expect a non-powered device to be full of negative reviews that it simply didn't 'work', as there's no ambiguity there.

I bought it online since it was cheaper than all the other alternatives and was advertised to work with PS3/XBox as well.

I mean the converter "works" as my laptop was displayed on the monitor when I connected the HDMI end to my laptop followed by the external VGA cable, so I don't think the monitor has any real issue with displaying.

According to some people on the internet, buying an HDMI splitter can bypass the HDCP block on the PS3 which could be the cause for it not displaying though I don't know whether this is true or not.

If not, is there any way to supply power to a converter like this?

Last edited:
I bought it online since it was cheaper than all the other alternatives and was advertised to work with PS3/XBox as well.

I mean the converter "works" as my laptop was displayed on the monitor when I connected the HDMI end to my laptop followed by the external VGA cable, so I don't think the monitor has any real issue with displaying.

According to some people on the internet, buying an HDMI splitter can bypass the HDCP block on the PS3 which could be the cause for it not displaying though I don't know whether this is true or not.

If not, is there any way to supply power to a converter like this?
The PS3 also has an option in it's menu that switches from the hdmi port to the PS video port can you connect the PS3 to any other device and make sure it's set to the HDMI port?