Question How to get my Samsung 980 pro M.2 SSDs recognised

Jan 16, 2023
Just built a new pc, with help on these fora.
I have done a clean install of Windows 11 and loaded it onto my Samsung 960 m.2 SSD.
I have now installed two Samsung 980 pro M.2 nvme drives in my Gigabyte Aorus z790 master motherboard. They are showing up in my Aorus BIOS, and self testing was passed. But I cannot access them, and disk management shows two unknown devices. Samsung tech support tell me their 3.3 nvme driver (which I have downloaded), does not support the new 980 pro. Please can someone help with installing a driver that helps.
Thanks
Raj

Jan 16, 2023
Doesn’t work in my case, as his drive is being recognised in device manager, mine is saying unknown devices for both my 980 pros. I shall try the standard nvme drive controller and see what happens
best wishes
Raj

no response to standard nvme drive controller.
if I use the drive externally connecting via USB C, it is instantly recognised and can be initialised and partitioned. Putting it back in the m.2 slot makes it disappear

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023
Did you install all the drivers for your motherboard?
Also try installing the Intel Rapid Storage drivers if your motherboard needs those for the M.2 slots to work properly.

For example I need to install those even before I can install windows because not even the installer can recognize the M.2 drive without them.

Last edited:
Reactions: rrao56