How to get my usb noticed when in secure mode please help

Bad_1

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Recently after an upgrade to windows 10 somehow i woke up to an inaccessible boot device or what have ya, since then iv managed to create a 8.1 bootable usb drive from another computer using rufus but the problem is it will only let me boot from legacy mode, when im in secure mode it doesnt even detect my usb, so i guess im asking is it safe to be in legacy mode and should i bother trying to get back into secure,, im not an expert everything iv achieved so far is from browsing the net so please dont be too complex when replying, and thanks in advanced.
(p.s Im on a Hp 1000 laptop pavillion i think)

Solution
Yea legacy boot and UEFI boot are NOT compatible with each other. i would go back in, enable UEFT Boot, and then enable Secure boot.

Here is how it works.

Legacy is for the older windows. UEFI is mainly for Windows 8+ (Even though windows 7 can do it though you rarely see UEFI windows 7 boots)

Secure boot make sure that where you are booting from is a secure location. If this is enabled booting from like USB drives is impossible.

Some PC's have UEFI and Legacy combo boots that allow both.

Now I don't think you have to have secure boot on but if you want to even be able to boot form a USB drive you have to turn it off.
As long as the USB drive is made to boot in UEFI then it should be able to boot properly. There are many tutorials on making a proper UEFI boot drive for windows.

Also not sure about repairing a version of windows that runs on UEFI in legacy mode. That I have not tired yet since i have still yet to even install windows with UEFI.

Bad_1

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Thanks for your reply, Il check my to see if my my usb stick is the issue and il follow your links as im finding that befor i got inaccessible boot error my laptop was running fine (in secure mode) and now its in legecy mode it seems laggy or buggy.

Yea legacy boot and UEFI boot are NOT compatible with each other. i would go back in, enable UEFT Boot, and then enable Secure boot.

Here is how it works.

Legacy is for the older windows. UEFI is mainly for Windows 8+ (Even though windows 7 can do it though you rarely see UEFI windows 7 boots)

Secure boot make sure that where you are booting from is a secure location. If this is enabled booting from like USB drives is impossible.

Some PC's have UEFI and Legacy combo boots that allow both.

Now I don't think you have to have secure boot on but if you want to even be able to boot form a USB drive you have to turn it off.

Solution

Bad_1

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Hey Thanks drkweak this helped me with being able to boot and reinstall windows 8, I needed to disable secure mode like you stated tho my first couple attempts failed, I made another bootable usb this time using GPT partition scheme for UEFI from another pc and got another failed attempt so I managed to enter command promts via repair windows at instalation on usb stick (even tho it wouldnt repair and i was getting errors). Once in command I cleaned and then deleted all partitions then created and formated a new primary tryd again and this was a success after i used windows activator I restarted my laptop and turned on secure mode and here i am, ( Im a novice and try everything i read and watch so I dont recommend anyone mess about in command promts i got lucky i guess ) thanks again drkweak altho it may not of been the exact fix it helped me alot