How to get out of safe mode in Windows 8 using command prompt

Ajit77

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
in normal mode i went to msconfig then click on boot and select safe mode but after restarting my hp pc it does not open now what should i do and there is only one option i.e. command prompt to uncheck safe mode in msconfig

Solution

I have gotten it once or twice.

If it is a OEM, or you set it up like a OEM does, and uses UEFI with Secure Boot, you can't get into the BIOS even using the Shift + F8 method as the Windows Boot Manager takes over the system and handles POST for it. It also does not allow any unsigned drivers to load or DVDs to load either.

The only way around is if the hardware dev put in a special switch, like on some higher end Asus boards that have a button that let's it boot directly to BIOS, or by getting into Windows 8 and telling it to reboot to the Advanced Startup Menu...
If you are just trying to get out of safe mode you can type in shutdown -r -t 0 at the command prompt and that should reboot it. If it keeps rebooting into Safe Mode with the command prompt then type in msconfig.exe from the command prompt and it should load msconfig again.

I have gotten it once or twice.

If it is a OEM, or you set it up like a OEM does, and uses UEFI with Secure Boot, you can't get into the BIOS even using the Shift + F8 method as the Windows Boot Manager takes over the system and handles POST for it. It also does not allow any unsigned drivers to load or DVDs to load either.

The only way around is if the hardware dev put in a special switch, like on some higher end Asus boards that have a button that let's it boot directly to BIOS, or by getting into Windows 8 and telling it to reboot to the Advanced Startup Menu.

The other way, which is hard, is to keep making it turn off when trying to load 8 so it tried to do a system repair and then you can also access the Advanced Startup menu.

It is annoying but I understand the purpose as it secures the system from some of the worst viruses that load during boot.

Solution

The Icerman Lives

Reputable
May 25, 2014

In Windows 8 that is no longer the way to enter safe mode.
it must be done from the boot menu using f12