How to get parts allowing high speed RAM

camaxide

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
So I’ve seen plenty of benchmarks showing that a few games (like PUBG) gets a decent FPS boost (avg. And min) from high speed RAM (frequency). Because of this my next build with I9-9900K I aim somewhere between 4000 and 4500 MHz DDR4.
But I also read that getting such fast RAM even on a compatible MotherBoards can be down to silicone lottery, ram controllers, delid need of CPU, and pure luck with both cpu and ram sticks.. So how do I best go about ensuring I build a system that can run nice ans stable at these speeds??

Jul 8, 2018
It doesn't just matter about RAM, also the graphics card as well. It would be best if you stuck with 3200 or 3000 because they are the fastest yet stable ram which you are guaranteed to get good speeds as long as your motherboard can support those speeds. With those, just look at higher capacities of ram instead of speed so its more stable, and probably costs less. Again though, check that your motherboard can support the amount and speed of your ram. You'd never for any reason need to delid a cpu for higher ram speeds. You however should instead focus on the gpu, id suggest with the i9 a 2080, or 2080 ti or somthing in sli of some sorts, as that's a pretty powerful cpu, in need of powerful other components.However: RAM DOES NOT MUCH AFFECT GAME SPEEDS PAST 16GB. I'd say stick with AT THE MOST 32gb ram, but you really wouldnt need that much if you stay with higher speed ram. Instead, invest on a better graphics card.

camaxide

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
4200 MHz over 3200 MHz gives 10% fps boost in pubg in several tests with my settings. I currently run 1080Ti, and neither Cpu or Gpu ever tops 40% usage, and FPS often drops, and the game stutters even at very low. My other build with 1080Ti SLI is the same. So my goal for next build is to ensure the parts can reach high speeds.. does this likely mean ordering and replacing parts until I get good enough parts?? Or is it better to get a pre-customized setup tested at those speeds? And what components nets the largest chance of reaching these speeds?

Jul 8, 2018

Yes, however again, not all motherboards and ram in general are going to be able to reach those speeds. Instead of trying to acheiv a higher speed, just go with a higher capacity of ram to be ensured it will work and be stable. It will have the same effect. You probably won't even find a prebuilt with those speeds, its just not ensured it will be stable. Over 3200 requires what's called XMP, basically a motherboard overclock which doesn't always work. It is down to silicone lottery, you can't really be ensured. Go for higher capacities of ram instead, it will have the same effect.