[SOLVED] How to get passed ISP Vlan Tagging?

Jul 28, 2021
I dropped $300 on an asus router to find out that I actually do need vlan tagging and to set the ID to 201. I checked on my current router and yep its set up in there. So new question, can I buy a switch that is managed or has vlan capabilities and bypass this hell I am dealing with? I have no idea how a switch works and honestly I am about to just give up fighting the man and just use their router. But lets be honest with ourselves, if we don't fight this battle here then what about when your ISP makes you decide to use their router or figure out this damn tagging things. So please, any network engineers that want to chime in can go ahead at any time. I am looking for advice on the switch before I just keep throwing money at this problem until it fixes itself. I really don't want to give up as I know there has to be a way. Also I would like to have wifi 6 capabilities to make it futureproof as I found a linksys WRT router that does have vlan tagging but no wifi 6 as its a bit older. Can I use an older router or a box router with no wireless then attach another router as a access point?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Rather than lock yourself to a router I would look at using a small managed switch. You can get tpink 5 port switches that support vlans for about $25. Normally you do not put a switch in front of a router. If it is just a vlan tag it should work.

Note unless you can actually use wifi6 today I would not buy it. Wifi6 is not futureproofing it is already obsolete. Wifi6e equipment is a bit hard to find but it is getting more and more common. The cell vendors have been rather quite they want everyone to upgrade to wifi6 so they can sell them another upgrade to wifi6e.

kanewolf

Titan
I dropped $300 on an asus router to find out that I actually do need vlan tagging and to set the ID to 201. I checked on my current router and yep its set up in there. So new question, can I buy a switch that is managed or has vlan capabilities and bypass this hell I am dealing with? I have no idea how a switch works and honestly I am about to just give up fighting the man and just use their router. But lets be honest with ourselves, if we don't fight this battle here then what about when your ISP makes you decide to use their router or figure out this damn tagging things. So please, any network engineers that want to chime in can go ahead at any time. I am looking for advice on the switch before I just keep throwing money at this problem until it fixes itself. I really don't want to give up as I know there has to be a way. Also I would like to have wifi 6 capabilities to make it futureproof as I found a linksys WRT router that does have vlan tagging but no wifi 6 as its a bit older. Can I use an older router or a box router with no wireless then attach another router as a access point?

Thank you in advance.
Which Asus router? Have you looked for alternate firmware for that router? Merlin for example?
Have you seen this thread -- View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Asus_Merlin/comments/e3sbl1/configure_vlan_tag_fow_wan_port/

It looks like many Asus routers support VLAN tags on the WAN ...

Jul 28, 2021
ASUS AX6000 but i have not looked for alternate firmware, sorry still new to this whole fiber optic vlan thing lol. I actually returned the router as that is what asus tech support told me to do. But I do have an older AC1900 that I use as an access point. I will start searching for firmware, is there any sites or firmware you would recommend. So far this is going way better than all the tech support calls I have made lol. Also I wasn't able to find the iptv setting on it. And I had told the asus techs that all I needed was to set vlan tagging to ID 201 but to no avail.

kanewolf

Titan
ASUS AX6000 but i have not looked for alternate firmware, sorry still new to this whole fiber optic vlan thing lol. I actually returned the router as that is what asus tech support told me to do. But I do have an older AC1900 that I use as an access point. I will start searching for firmware, is there any sites or firmware you would recommend. So far this is going way better than all the tech support calls I have made lol.
Merlin is my recommendation for Asus routers if available -- https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

Reactions: Smiley1m
Jul 28, 2021
I want to keep updating. So far found the IPTV tab under Lan in advance settings. It has a profile for centurylink so I will try that now then if it doesnt work I will go manual. I hope to get this working, buy a new router with wifi6 capabilities that's on the merlin list and add some screenshots to this post. Hopefully this will help someone in the same boat.

Rather than lock yourself to a router I would look at using a small managed switch. You can get tpink 5 port switches that support vlans for about $25. Normally you do not put a switch in front of a router. If it is just a vlan tag it should work.

Note unless you can actually use wifi6 today I would not buy it. Wifi6 is not futureproofing it is already obsolete. Wifi6e equipment is a bit hard to find but it is getting more and more common. The cell vendors have been rather quite they want everyone to upgrade to wifi6 so they can sell them another upgrade to wifi6e.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution