How to get rid of Multiboot all together?! (Not just one OS)

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Hi,

I am planning on installing a second Windows on my computer (Multiboot). I read a few articles on how to do it, and on how to delete ONE, of the two Operating Systems.

However, I am not sure what to do, if I wanted to get rid of BOTH Operating Systems, and install a "fresh" Windows again?!

thanks,

G

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

Not sure if I understand the question?! I am planning on installing Windows 7 on a computer running two SSD's in RAID1. So the OS is on "one" drive. There are no partitions on that drive yet. The way I was going to install the second Windows is, by creating a partition on the "one" drive.

thanks,

G

troyervin

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
sorry for the confusing question been a long time since ive experimented with that, but if its all of one drive surely you can just format the drive and start over? or do you mean stopping the multi boot from appearing every time you start up?

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

Its all good! I would like to install a second Windows, in order to test something... Once the test is done, I would like to uninstall both and re-install a fresh copy...

thanks,

G

troyervin

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
May I ask for the two Operating Systems you are planning on installing? Uninstalling OS systems atleast when I did it seemed pretty straight forward, when I did Linux and Vista I was able to just format the whole harddrive and that erased both the operating systems and I just popped in the Vista disc and installed a fresh os.

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

I am planning on installing Windows 7 on a machine, that is running Windows 7! :D

I bought a Dell PowerEdge T620 Server. They don't come with Windows 7, but since I bought it from a Dell certified re-seller, I had him install Windows 7. So far so good. I tried to make an image, using Acronis True Home, so I could bring back the computers "factory" state, when there is a problem. However, Acronis is not working!? I tried every possible version, but it doesn't work! Since the whole "making an image" thing doesn't work, I have to face the fact, of having to install an new Os at some point!

Since I am installing a OS, that is not "made" for this computer, I just want to be on the safe side, and install the OS on a second partition first. This way I can see what happens, and I know for fact, that something will, ha ha. The seller told me that his engineers had to go through a bunch of drivers in order to make it work. I asked him about those drivers, but never got an answer!

Sorry for the long post...

thanks,

G

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

Installing on a Virtual Machine won't work! When installing a OS on a virtual machine, it gets its drivers from the Host, so you can't really tell, what "issues" you might have when doing it this way!

When installing on a second partition though (multiboot), it is like installing a fresh OS. I am doing it this way, in case something goes wrong or I cant find the right driver!

thanks,

G

troyervin

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
That's funny I to used Acronis as well and the same result.

When you put the second OS on the computer try SlimDrivers, this is a free program that finds the drivers that your computer is missing. I use it for all my systems. You could also go into the Device Manager on your computer and see if you can find some of those specific drivers, maybe you could search them up with the information you find there?

Also since your on the safe side and installing it on a second partition why do you need to wipe the first one?

My apologies this is turning into a discussion

neavissa

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

Discussions are accepted and welcomed with open arms!:D

I am going to take a look at SlimDrivers. Thanks! I found a program called Double Driver. It backs up all the drivers, that are currently installed on your system. I only backed them up, but never tried to recover any... so who knows if it works, ha ha.
The good thing is, the T620 normally runs of Windows Server 2008R2. Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008R2, are practically the same software! I also spoke to others, that installed Windows 7 on the T620. They told me that I most likely only need the driver for the RAID controller!

I am going to install Windows 7 on the second partition, and if I run into trouble, I can go back to the original one. If everything works out as planned, great! Once I am able to install Windows 7, with no problems, I will wipe everything and only install ONE Windows 7!

thanks,

G