How to get rid of Permission PoPup? Vista

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
This should probably be a sticky thread... I think UAC is one of those most hated features of Vista. I've saved a couple co-workers when doing work w\ their laptops... otherwise they'd probably be stuck cursing vista everytime they opened something.

Leaving UAC on gives you a level of security you cannot otherwise get by being 'careful'. IMO clicking through a few times a week is a small price to pay. I'm amazed how many people summarily turn it off as though it is nothing but a hassle MS threw into Vista just to annoy users. It is important at least for people to understand what it is and how it works and the difference between running in admin mode and user mode.

Having said that I'm sure it could be made less intrusive.

aviadra

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
At first UAC can surprise you, and there for annoy you. Y would I need to confirm the action I just asked for. And I’m no exception to this line of thought. However, I almost immediately remembered how Linux’s sudo command works and realized… aha!… Microsoft is trying to give the windows user the functionality advocated for YEARS by Linux fans. Not only that, but its actually doing it better then linux does for the most part. That is because in linux u usually only get an access denied and u need to re-issue the command using the sudo command, in windows with UAC u get prompted.
A lot more information about y UAC is a good thing and actually helps to keep windows secure, even for administrators, can be found in Marks Russinovich's presentation about it in MSs TechNet site:

http://www.microsoft.com/emea/spotlight/sessionh.aspx?videoid=360&PUID=00067FFE86205DB5

For the people who don’t know who mark is, Mark is the creator of the famous ERD commander and the sysinternals utility suite.

Aviad Raviv (MCSE)