[SOLVED] How to get system to support modern GPUs.

Hello i have the following system:

I7 940 w/ Corsair H100
8g corsair
Asus X58 Sabertooth
Dual WD Black 640gb
Corsair CX600
PNY GTX770

I am looking to put an RX570 into this system and want to know If there is any way It will work.

I am unsure if it supports UEFI only cards. I tossed in a CX550M plus my RX5700 to see if it will work with a newer GPU. I get to bios, but a black screen after. I tried my SSD from my system the RX5700 came from and it will not boot with the RX5700.

Currently typing to you on this PC with GTX770 installed.

I will try to flash the bios to latest version, but idk if it will work.

I previously ran an RX480 (supposedly uefi only) on an even older LGA775 system, so I am unsure of why this will not work.

Solution
The vendors are clueless, and I haven't used AMD in years because of a different issue with the BIOS on the old Dells I play with. You really need to go to the card mfg. to find out what BIOS support they have. I used to go to brick and mortar stores to check system requiremnets on the box to find one that wasn't UEFI, but that's not an option anymore. I'm running a legacy BIOS GTX1060 MSI right now. But MSI was UEFI back in the GTX750 days. I hear they support both now.
I f you highlight a system at userbenchmark with a card you want to run sometimes thay have brand and model numbers listed in the GPU section. It's funny because AMD had a page explaining why the Fury cards were Legacy and not UEFI due to better compatability. AMD seems...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Difficult to know which Amd cards use Hybrid vBios. Only way of knowing for sure is of people sharing their experiences.

Since Rx 400/500, pretty sure Amd has ended support for Hybrid, just flat out Uefi.

Im running an Gtx 1070 on a Asus P6TDelux x58 motherboard with no issue. Im led to believe Nvidia still use Hybrid vBios even on their latest cards. So yeah, more of a chance it working with Nvidia.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Your specific 480 model probably has Hybrid vBios. It has to if it's working. Sorry I meant after 4/5xx series, Hybrid support ended, i believe.

Only way of knowing is searching around and hope to find people sharing their efforts.

Or maybe contacting Amd or vendors directly?

The vendors are clueless, and I haven't used AMD in years because of a different issue with the BIOS on the old Dells I play with. You really need to go to the card mfg. to find out what BIOS support they have. I used to go to brick and mortar stores to check system requiremnets on the box to find one that wasn't UEFI, but that's not an option anymore. I'm running a legacy BIOS GTX1060 MSI right now. But MSI was UEFI back in the GTX750 days. I hear they support both now.
I f you highlight a system at userbenchmark with a card you want to run sometimes thay have brand and model numbers listed in the GPU section. It's funny because AMD had a page explaining why the Fury cards were Legacy and not UEFI due to better compatability. AMD seems to drop the ball on compatability more than Nvidia. But i've had issues with both.

Solution
Well, i asked on msi forum and they never responded. It was in regards to a 570 gaming x.

Edit: they did respond and said all 400 and 500 series are uefi only (which is odd) but should work, and that my 5700 must be dead since it didn't work.

UH, no my 5700 is not dead, its like 3 months old and working fine in a newer PC.

So now I am even more confused...

Last edited:
I ended up buying a evga 1060 3gb for $105 with free shipping.

I really do not like the 3gb frame buffer, but it's better than the 2gb it has currently.

The 1060 3gb will likely be a better choice given the terrible PSU this PC has. The 570 really is not too efficient.

I hope it works. Will post here results.