How to get the fastest connection? Gbit speed?

showmak

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
Ok here are my equipment,

iMac Mid 2011 = 1x GigE Port
Huawei B593s-22 Router = 4x MigE Port
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH Router = 4x GigE Port >>> extra router I have

For internet access, my iMac is connected to the Huawei B593s-22 over WIFI. Basically I want to setup a network so that my PS4, PS3 and External HDD are all wire connected with Gbit speed and at the same time with the access to internet.

Can I feed the internet from the Huawei B593s-22 to Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH Router and connect all my devices with wire to the Buffalo to get both internet and Gbit speed?

How can I get this setup done? And what other equipment do I need?

Thanks

Solution
Yes, PS3/PS4/iMac will show Gbit speeds via LAN to the Buffalo.

Now in order to get the router and modem to work together, I believe you'll have to configure the Buffalo router to work in bridge mode. I don't think you'll utilize the WAN port on the Buffalo, but instead go from Huawei LAN to Buffalo LAN. I'm not completely sure how that's accomplished, but I know there are plenty of resources via Google regarding the topic.

Milheim

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
No, you can't obtain Gbit speed that way. You could probably use the Buffalo router between the Huawei and your devices. Your devices will show Gbit connection speed to the Buffalo router, but the connection between routers will be limited to 100 Mbit. If you could replace the Huawei with the Buffalo completely, then your wired connections to the router would be a true Gbit.

showmak

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
Thank you for your input.

Here is what I did so I could feed the Buffalo router with an internet connection from the Huawei router.

I connected a cable from LAN 1 port on the Huawei to WAN port on the Buffalo. I then configured the Buffalo as follow:

2016-01-29_2-04-20_zpsansvmgtl.png

Here are the changes I made:

WAN Connection Type = Disabled
Local IP Address = 192.168.1.50
Checked Assign WAN Port to Switch
DHCP Server = Disable

I am not sure whether this is the perfect configuration, but now, I have a WIFI connection on both routers...

Next step is to check Gbit speed through LAN-LAN via cable connection.

showmak

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2014
To use my Buffalo I need to setup my Huawei E3276 4G USB modem to work with it. So far the router is unable to talk to the modem!

Now I think the network speed between PS3, PS4 and iMac is Gbit if they are all connected by wire to the Buffalo LAN ports. Am I right?

Milheim

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Yes, PS3/PS4/iMac will show Gbit speeds via LAN to the Buffalo.

Now in order to get the router and modem to work together, I believe you'll have to configure the Buffalo router to work in bridge mode. I don't think you'll utilize the WAN port on the Buffalo, but instead go from Huawei LAN to Buffalo LAN. I'm not completely sure how that's accomplished, but I know there are plenty of resources via Google regarding the topic.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS