Question How to get the i9 13900ks to run at 3.00 GHz only

slickrick6922

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
I bought a gaming PC to play games on only, well the main game I play would crash all the time but every thing else would run fine. I'm a PC noob but I've had PC's every since windows 95 came out. The system is a i0 13900ks, RTX 4090 24GB, 32 GB DDR5 Kingston fury ram, 2TB drive with 1200 watt power supply water cooled. I read up on internet and most people say it was the GPU or software problem, I tried everything I read. I open the performance tab in the task manager and noticed that every time I loaded the game my CPU utilization would jump up over 100% and cause the game to crash, The base clock speed is 3.00GHz but the CPU was running 5.50 at idle. I went into bios and turned off Turbo boost and Turbo boost max3.0 and it fixed the crashing problem with the game but now I'm only running 2.6 GHz. what do i need to enable to get the CPU to run the base clock speed (3.00GHz) or maybe up to 4.5GHz?

You need turbo to go above base, otherwise you have to set an all core clock speed, basically overclock but to normal clockrates.
Upload a few pics from your bios from the CPU/overclock settings.
You should have turbo enabled but have PL1 and PL2 (power limit) limited to something logical.
Start with 253W if it's set above that and see how that goes and you can go from there.

Reactions: KyaraM

slickrick6922

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
You need turbo to go above base, otherwise you have to set an all core clock speed, basically overclock but to normal clockrates.
Upload a few pics from your bios from the CPU/overclock settings.
You should have turbo enabled but have PL1 and PL2 (power limit) limited to something logical.
Start with 253W if it's set above that and see how that goes and you can go from there.
I cant figure out how to upload a photo my from PC on this site, its asking me to type a web address. Which power settings do I change? I think there's a few different places to change power.

KyaraM

Admirable
I cant figure out how to upload a photo my from PC on this site, its asking me to type a web address. Which power settings do I change? I think there's a few different places to change power.
Upload the picture to imgur and copy the link here. That should work. For the high idle clocks, go to Windows Power Plan and make sure it is set to Balanced.

Personally, I would be interested in the full system specs. Cooler, RAM configuration, case, mainboard, full name and model of the power supply. 1200W tells us nothing. Also, it would be interesting to know what the temperatures are when starting the game up to the crash. HWInfo is really good for that. It also measures clock speeds and other metrics far more accurately than task manager.

Btw, I would not reduce clocks that drastically in any case. If you absolutely want to reduce them, go into BIOS and set the multiplier to something like 54. That should equate to a clock of 5.4GHz. Do NOT touch BCLK, though. Checking that all cables are seated properly would also be highly recommended. However, for the record, this should definitely not happen in the first place. If nothing helps, I would RMA the prebuilt.

slickrick6922

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
  • Core i9 13900Ks 3.0GHz | GeForce RTX 4090 24GB
  • Z790 Edge | 32GB DDR5 5600 MHz (2x16GB) |
  • 2TB NVMe SSD | Thermaltake 360MM Liquid Cooler | Thermaltake 1200W toughpower grand
  • Windows 11 Home | VR Ready
I downloaded a app from Intel, " Extreme Tuning utility" and turned the Performance core ratio down to 50X and the games running stable at around 350fps. The PC ran every thing else great, it's just this 1 game . Apparently its a hard game to run according to what I've read on the internet.

Last edited:
In windows, change the power profile from performance to balanced and set the max cpu % to 99%
Setting the max CPU to 99% disables Intel Turbo Boost. He already tried doing that and did not like the big drop in performance. No one that spends extra money to buy a 13900KS wants to run it at the 3.20 GHz base frequency.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...900ks-processor-36m-cache-up-to-6-00-ghz.html

Disabling Thermal Velocity Boost can be used to slow the CPU down a little bit without completely killing performance.

Apparently its a hard game to run according to what I've read on the internet.
That is a good sign that your computer is not 100% stable. What sort of stability testing have you done?

Reactions: KyaraM