[SOLVED] How to get the most out of my i5-8300H?

davidspaho

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017
So long ago i managed to get a XTU score of 1310 without changing any settings. Everything was stock. When i got that score, the temps were 89. Now though, i changed the thermal paste and even under heavy load, it wont go above 75. So i was wondering how i can get the most out of the cpu since it is not heating up anymore. I have tried everything but now i only get a score of 1270. I guess, since it wont heat anymore, i can change some settings. It is a laptop CPU

XTU settings

Solution
The difference between your two scores is 3%. Not sure what the run-to-run variance is, but...

Heat is bad, mkay.
Heat doesn't increase performance.

Repasting likely reduced fan noise (probably didn't thermal throttle at 89C before anyway). But the CPU is still governed by power draw and boost duration.

If you want to get the most out of your CPU, undervolt (which it looks like you did, but have you tested even lower?). This will allow the highest clock speeds for the longest duration.

I'd also recommend maxing out the "Turbo Boost Power Time Window"

Within XTU, you can also adjust the "Turbo Boost Power Max" and "Turbo Boost Short Power Max" settings.

You want to be monitoring CPU frequency throughout the duration of the...
The difference between your two scores is 3%. Not sure what the run-to-run variance is, but...

Heat is bad, mkay.

Repasting likely reduced fan noise (probably didn't thermal throttle at 89C before anyway). But the CPU is still governed by power draw and boost duration.

If you want to get the most out of your CPU, undervolt (which it looks like you did, but have you tested even lower?). This will allow the highest clock speeds for the longest duration.

Within XTU, you can also adjust the "Turbo Boost Power Max" and "Turbo Boost Short Power Max" settings.

You want to be monitoring CPU frequency throughout the duration of the test. If the score is aggregate (instead of peak), then you're being scored on the full duration of the run. If freuqncy drops off significantly at 28 seconds but the test takes 60 seconds, your score will obviously suffer.

Keep an eye on the throttling indicators at the bottom right corner of the XTU screen also. That will help you to know what to increase to eliminate throttle for the next step.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidspaho
Solution

davidspaho

Reputable
Dec 17, 2017

Heat is bad, mkay.

You want to be monitoring CPU frequency throughout the duration of the test. If the score is aggregate (instead of peak), then you're being scored on the full duration of the run. If freuqncy drops off significantly at 28 seconds but the test takes 60 seconds, your score will obviously suffer.

Keep an eye on the throttling indicators at the bottom right corner of the XTU screen also. That will help you to know what to increase to eliminate throttle for the next step.

so i know the difference is very small but there are other users that get 1400 and im trying to get as close to that as possible. This mostly is just to squeeze that little power that is left. i know the diffenrece wont be huge, but would be nice to get as much as possible. Cant upgrade anyways so thats the last thing i can do. I have tried playing around with Turbo Boost Power Max and Turbo Boost short Power Max but havent had success. only got it up to 1282.. i will max out the turbo boost power time window. Also, when benchmarking, the cpu speed falls from 3.95 to 3.6 and power limit throttling changes to yes.. I have no idea what to do about that. Power limit throttling must affect the cpu a little.