Win 11 Master
I just did my normal way.
Go here - https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11
download installation assistant.
Wait 30 minutes for it to install

then look to see what changed... not a lot
Task manager is about only obvious change
4DKfBUr.jpg

that isn't just adding features we already had in 10.

sdmf1974

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
Already have windows 11 now for a long time, Z590 custom watercooled build yet still cant get Win 11 22H2. PC health check says Im 100% compatible & Task manager has been completely broken for like a year! Microsoft says it will withold if you have software that isnt compatible this is a bunch of horse ****!
Also read that Microsoft will be dulling out the update on a "GREEN" basis? Stop with all this fake a** global warming crap! I live in a tiny suburb in Iowa. Do I need a F'n windmill in my front yard to do a simple GD update microsoft.

Yore own article states "Those who already have Windows 11 will have a pretty easy time of updating. If your device is ready, you can go to Settings > Windows Update and click the Check for updates button. If it's ready, you'll just be able to click "Download & install" and be on your way. "

REALLY??? "A pretty easy time of updating" I cant tell

Last edited:
Reactions: Lafong

Colif

Win 11 Master
click my link, download either media creation tool or ISO and use it to make a USB Installer
Once you have USB, put it in PC that can't update and go to file explorer
navigate to USB and run setup
it should offer to update current install.
agree and follow wizard

no rush though as I got it earlier, run windows update after and now a Cumulative update is stuck and won't install. Good trick guys. Break windows update on 1st patch.

sdmf1974

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
Yeah so went ahead & did the windows update assistant to do it manually, no thanks to microsoft and it now says I have 22H2 but there is still another update (KB5017321) that fails to download SMH! Not only that but the NEW version of task manager is also perpetually frozen & wont close just like it was on 21H2! You cant make this stuff up.

Look I Always just do a fresh install which is best & I keep ALL my games & backups on a seperate drive but I wanted to make sure the new version was out & available BEFORE I do a clean install so I dont have these issues after I wipe my drive & do a clean install. It would be nice for once to not have to do a fresh install every six months or so . Guess Ill have to wait for AOC to tell me its ok to download the newest version of OS on MY PC.

UPiWxKt.jpg

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
that patch is same one I mentioned. I already posted it about it elsewhere - link

I don't have the task manager problem

have you tried running dism/sfc?

right click start
choose terminal (admin)
if it doesn't open as powershell, click the arrow in the title bar & select it from list
copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11
that didn't fix the update for me but maybe some of the steps I took or were suggested might help.

Currently ignoring the problem as I suspect more will get it. I will just do a repair install otherwise, but its odd it broke so soon after an install. I wonder if it has anything to do with the installation assistant.

sdmf1974

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
Yeah I've tried everything, I actually found a workaround finally just a few days ago that involved disabling a service (cant remember the name) that also breaks wifi & possibly detection of devices but was hoping this update would fix it for real.

Nothing broke after the update, task manager was never fixed for me even though it updated to the new version.
Gonna wait and see if the above final piece of the update that's failing resolves in a few days and go from there.
Be the reason you don't have the issue is because I assume you did a clean win 11 install. I've been waiting to do that till a more stable version was released (which I was hoping would be this one). I upgraded from 10 to 11, others have reported issues with task manager as well but none of the articles have an actual fix. I found the workaround in the comment section of an article about broken task manager.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I updated from 10 to 11 via the insiders program, I haven't clean installed in 2 years now. My windows update history goes back to July last year. I had thought the version update would clear that.

Only thing I have noticed that doesn't work is Windows Update.
I haven't really looked around a lot since getting it. Apart from making my start menu less cluttered
qGtWoZ1.jpg

this post fixed it for me
To perform the update:

1. Access Microsoft Update Catalog
  2. Download the update "2022-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based operating systems (KB5017321)"
  3. Run the ".msu" file and wait for the update to complete.
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/kb501...-when-trying-to-download-cu.9066/#post-197384

Last edited:

sdmf1974

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
Thanks for the link, I went ahead & dleted ALL temporary files & windows update leftover files on my C: drive and then downloaded & installed the update directly from your link & it did resolve the failed update error 0x800f0806 HOWEVER Task Manager is STILL broken, none of the polling works for CPU & memory & TM refuses to close out,
just like it was doing before the 22H2 update, I dont get it. I guess my only option is to do a clean install & hope that fixes it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
tried running the System maintenance troubleshooter?
its not in a normal spot.
Go to control panel.
Show large icons
click on Troubleshooting
next to System & Security, click Run Maintenance tasks

have you run chkdsk on the C drive?
if its an ssd type chkdsk c: /f in command prompt (admin)
will want to run at startup so press Y to agree

go to settings inside Task manager and check the Real Time Update Speed isn't set to paused
I didn't even know it had settings until yesterday
b8c1R5S.jpg

Sep 24, 2022
Yeah so went ahead & did the windows update assistant to do it manually, no thanks to microsoft and it now says I have 22H2 but there is still another update (KB5017321) that fails to download SMH! Not only that but the NEW version of task manager is also perpetually frozen & wont close just like it was on 21H2! You cant make this stuff up.

Look I Always just do a fresh install which is best & I keep ALL my games & backups on a seperate drive but I wanted to make sure the new version was out & available BEFORE I do a clean install so I dont have these issues after I wipe my drive & do a clean install. It would be nice for once to not have to do a fresh install every six months or so . Guess Ill have to wait for AOC to tell me its ok to download the newest version of OS on MY PC.

UPiWxKt.jpg

From your earlier post, this update did not appear for you when you went to Windows Update. That means that the updater found some incompatible software running and you should have waited until it appeared in Windows Update in the coming weeks. That's the whole point of it not appearing for everyone in Windows Update -- to protect against exactly the problem you had. Don't blame MS for your insisting on installing after they told you your system wasn't ready for it yet.

Just as an example: it did appear in Windows Update for me on my laptop running Windows 11, but not on my desktop also running Windows 11 (just upgraded from Windows 10, hoping it would go straight to the 22H2 version, because I wanted to wait to upgrade my desktop from Windows 10 until I could get folders in the Start menu, which only come with 22H2). But neither of us can blame MS. They have been very clear that the update will roll out in compatibility waves, so for your system and my desktop system, unlike my laptop, they haven't finished making it compatible with all existing software yet. If I force it onto my desktop right now, I assume I'd have problems, just like you did.

Love the update on my Laptop. Finally has a usable Start menu, which is MUCH faster and more responsive than Start11 (too slow if you want to search from Start -- always misses the first few characters typed -- otherwise, Start11 is a good addition for those who prefer the Windows 10 Start menu).

Last edited:

sdmf1974

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
From your earlier post, this update did not appear for you when you went to Windows Update. That means that the updater found some incompatible software running and you should have waited until it appeared in Windows Update in the coming weeks. That's the whole point of it not appearing for everyone in Windows Update -- to protect against exactly the problem you had. Don't blame MS for your insisting on installing after they told you your system wasn't ready for it yet.

Just as an example: it did appear in Windows Update for me on my laptop running Windows 11, but not on my desktop also running Windows 11 (just upgraded from Windows 10, hoping it would go straight to the 22H2 version, because I wanted to wait to upgrade my desktop from Windows 10 until I could get folders in the Start menu, which only come with 22H2). But neither of us can blame MS. They have been very clear that the update will roll out in compatibility waves, so for your system and my desktop system, unlike my laptop, they haven't finished making it compatible with all existing software yet. If I force it onto my desktop right now, I assume I'd have problems, just like you did.

Love the update on my Laptop. Finally has a usable Start menu, which is MUCH faster and more responsive than Start11 (too slow if you want to search from Start -- always misses the first few characters typed -- otherwise, Start11 is a good addition for those who prefer the Windows 10 Start menu).

Really? OK what software would it be thats not compatible with 22H2 & how exactly would you know that (Because they said so?) & when exactly did MS tell me my 11th gen system wasnt ready for it yet? More like Microsoft is part of the global warming Cult. Oh sorry you people call it "climate change" now huh? Yeah microsoft said themselves they will be rolling 22H2 out in a green manner, in waves in order to pander to morons that believe we will all be dead in 12 years... or was it 9 years. Please do tell?

And besides if 22H2 didnt arrive to me (where electricity & a failing power grid is not an issue) because of the terrible incompatible software on my PC then why was Task Manager busted in the same exact way before the update? If you had read the thread before making false claims you would know it has nothing to do w/ my software.

sdmf1974

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
have you tried making another user to see if the task manager is broken on it as well. - link
just curious as if it was broken before you installed win 11 22H2, it might not be windows exactly.

Good Idea thanks for the suggestion BUT my second user which I created LONG AGO and never used is suffering the same issue. I did find a workaround which is simple but may break other functionality such as wifi, bluetooth pairing etc.
Apparently disabling the "device association service" fixes Task Manager. I found the workaround in a comment section somewhere.
Does that service give you any clue as to what the real problem could be & how its connected with TM? Seems unrelated & strange to me but Ive confirmed the workaround works.

Im gonna do a clean install as soon as I get a chance as Im sure that will fix it, at least I think it should.

D

Deleted member 14196

in vm win 11 performance really sucks compared to even win10

too gawky and slow for me. If I have to stick with Microsoft, I am going to install server 2022. I’m never going to install windows 11.

win 11 is HOT GARBAGE

server 2022 rules by comparison.

Sep 24, 2022
Really? OK what software would it be thats not compatible with 22H2 & how exactly would you know that (Because they said so?) & when exactly did MS tell me my 11th gen system wasnt ready for it yet? More like Microsoft is part of the global warming Cult. Oh sorry you people call it "climate change" now huh? Yeah microsoft said themselves they will be rolling 22H2 out in a green manner, in waves in order to pander to morons that believe we will all be dead in 12 years... or was it 9 years. Please do tell?

And besides if 22H2 didnt arrive to me (where electricity & a failing power grid is not an issue) because of the terrible incompatible software on my PC then why was Task Manager busted in the same exact way before the update? If you had read the thread before making false claims you would know it has nothing to do w/ my software.

I don't care about their rolling it out to be green. That's just marketing spin to appeal to those on the left who care about that economy-destroying crap (if they have to delay anyway to avoid problems, they're just trying to spin that in as a positive a way as possible and some of their customers do care about that, even if you and I don't). But when you complain that you can't get 22H2 on launch day after MS has specifically said that it will appear in Windows Update as it passes compatibility checks, that sounds a lot more like the whiny left than anything I've said.

Don't get pissed at a company when you forcibly install something they say won't work for you. Now you want reparations? How about accept personal responsibility for your actions before you try to claim to be pro-freedom. I absolutely support your right and freedom to take the risk and install early -- thank you for choosing to be a guinea pig to test for the rest of us -- and I agree it's unfortunate that you have problems with it, but don't then complain when there are problems after you chose to take that risk.

As for what is incompatible, it could be software it could be hardware drivers. There are a lot of moving pieces to an OS update. Task Manager is just one small applet in the entire OS, of which there are thousands. As I mentioned, I also have the 22H2 update on of my systems (an HP convertible Spectre laptop, so it's all standard and common parts) but not on another that is a desktop system I custom built with a lot of rare hardware, obscure drivers, and lesser used software. It uses RAID, has hardware for all kinds of old SD-type cards, has multiple Bluetooth connections and NICs. Any one of those could be a problem for 22H2. Or maybe it's none of those and something else entirely, like my BRIO 4k for Windows Hello or the way I have configured OneDrive syncing.

Or, maybe it's not even that there are any problems. Maybe it's just that they haven't tested some combinations yet.

It shouldn't take a big mental leap to imagine any of those possibilities, and therefore while they work to fix or test more components of the 22H2 update, it simply won't automatically install to avoid risking problems. Eventually, they'll get that squared away and then I expect the 22H2 update to appear in Windows Update for my desktop too. This has NOTHING to do with being green. It has to do with the a smart staged rollout to protect users who don't have time or desire to be part of the Insider program to test an unproven update.

Sep 24, 2022
Right after my recent post listing possible compatibility issues for why some users may not yet see 22H2 in Windows Update (applicable to sdmf1974's post), I stumbled on a specific example: for those using Start11 to preserve the Windows XP, 7, or 10 style Start menu and Taskbar in Windows 11, the newest update, still in beta, 1.27, works fine with Windows 11, but has reported issues with 22H2. Just one of many possible examples.

In any case, if you don't see 22H2 in Windows Update, please be aware that if you choose to install manually from the ISO, there is a risk that something won't work (it also might work just fine, but be aware of the risk and don't take it if you can't afford downtime). The whole reason it doesn't appear for you yet in Windows Update is because there is either a known compatibility problem or you have an untested combination that MS doesn't know yet if it will work. On the other hand, if you wait for it to appear in Windows Update, while that risk doesn't drop to zero (every update always carries some risk), it becomes much less of a risk.

sdmf1974

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
I don't care about their rolling it out to be green. That's just marketing spin to appeal to those on the left who care about that economy-destroying crap (if they have to delay anyway to avoid problems, they're just trying to spin that in as a positive a way as possible and some of their customers do care about that, even if you and I don't). But when you complain that you can't get 22H2 on launch day after MS has specifically said that it will appear in Windows Update as it passes compatibility checks, that sounds a lot more like the whiny left than anything I've said.

Don't get pissed at a company when you forcibly install something they say won't work for you. Now you want reparations? How about accept personal responsibility for your actions before you try to claim to be pro-freedom. I absolutely support your right and freedom to take the risk and install early -- thank you for choosing to be a guinea pig to test for the rest of us -- and I agree it's unfortunate that you have problems with it, but don't then complain when there are problems after you chose to take that risk.

As for what is incompatible, it could be software it could be hardware drivers. There are a lot of moving pieces to an OS update. Task Manager is just one small applet in the entire OS, of which there are thousands. As I mentioned, I also have the 22H2 update on of my systems (an HP convertible Spectre laptop, so it's all standard and common parts) but not on another that is a desktop system I custom built with a lot of rare hardware, obscure drivers, and lesser used software. It uses RAID, has hardware for all kinds of old SD-type cards, has multiple Bluetooth connections and NICs. Any one of those could be a problem for 22H2. Or maybe it's none of those and something else entirely, like my BRIO 4k for Windows Hello or the way I have configured OneDrive syncing.

Or, maybe it's not even that there are any problems. Maybe it's just that they haven't tested some combinations yet.

It shouldn't take a big mental leap to imagine any of those possibilities, and therefore while they work to fix or test more components of the 22H2 update, it simply won't automatically install to avoid risking problems. Eventually, they'll get that squared away and then I expect the 22H2 update to appear in Windows Update for my desktop too. This has NOTHING to do with being green. It has to do with the a smart staged rollout to protect users who don't have time or desire to be part of the Insider program to test an unproven update.

You have no idea what your talking about, you dont know what software I have on my computer and you cant possibly know what the issue was. Its a known fact that 22H2 is a hot mess with many problems ranging from Printer issues to BSOD's to the
failed update 0x800f0806 etc. as usual per microsoft updates. Regardless they choose to use their customers as beta testers whether we are enrolled in insider program or not.
Also I never got the "Coming Soon" message banner in windows update so no it never warned of possible compatibility issues

Sep 24, 2022
sdfm1974, I think you're making my point: there are some known issues with 22H2 on some systems, which is precisely why MS isn't pushing it to all systems yet, so don't complain if you experience those issues when you CHOSE to manually force the update. It's really that simple. If MS forced the update on you and broke your system (admittedly, that does happen from time to time), then you'd be on firmer ground to sling your bitching.

I don't claim to know anything about your software and I don't want or need to. What I do know is that MS has said 22H2 is not ready for full release yet and is undergoing a staged rollout through Windows Update to ensure it only goes to tested system configurations. If 22H2 doesn't yet appear in Windows Update and you choose to force install from an ISO, you're taking a risk. Period.

On my main laptop, which did get the 22H2 update through Windows Update, 22H2 is perfect and a significant improvement over the original release plus regular Patch Tuesday updates. Same is true for millions of other users, so it's not a problem for everyone. On my desktop, which is my main work system, I can't afford any downtime, I will not install from an ISO for a version of the OS that's still in limited distribution, knowing the high risk that has of breaking things. I do have a few other systems (including those that lack the hardware for Windows 11 official support) that can stay at various stages of experimentation safely, and on those, if I have the time, I probably will install from ISO in another few weeks.

Again, I support your freedom to install the update early and take that risk. I respect when people do that, because you help find the problems for the rest of us. Just don't complain about it as if MS did something bad or wrong when you have problems. You chose to wade into those waters, risks and all. That's not to say you shouldn't report the problems through the MS Feedback hub and let people here know about the issues -- of course you should spread the knowledge. Just stick to the facts and be helpful. Whining isn't helpful to anyone.

Sep 24, 2022
Recent notice from MS clarifying my points above:

"We are entering a new phase of the rollout for Windows 11, version 22H2 and we are increasing its availability to all who check for updates on eligible Windows devices. Note that, if we detect that your device might have an issue, such as an application incompatibility, we might put a safeguard hold in place and not offer the update until that issue is resolved. Information regarding safeguard holds is available below on this page."

Here's a link to the remaining known issues (doesn't mean there are no other issues, just that these are the known issues currently blocking affected systems from getting the update through Windows Update):
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-22h2

My desktop that was not able to get it before now did get the update following the most recent updates to it. Working great for me.

Oct 29, 2022

I really want to save some people some pain. Do not update to this release.
I have two machines both with 2.5gbps Ethernet adapters. Did a speed test on both machines. Internet 2350mbps. Both already have latest drivers for win 11.
Upgraded the one machine. Now the up and down speeds were 400 and 1650mbps respectively.
So after going through every solution on the net I could find. The speeds are worse. 350 and 400 ish. Up/down.

I checked my wifi 6. It suffered greatly as well. It's right next to the router. Both systems before the upgrade were roughly 2100mbps up/down. After the upgrade on the one the wifi dropped substantially to 250 and 250mbps up/down.

Needless to say I rolled back. I won't upgrade till the SMB large file transfer bug and this connectivity bug is patched.

USAFRet

Titan
I really want to save some people some pain. Do not update to this release.
I have two machines both with 2.5gbps Ethernet adapters. Did a speed test on both machines. Internet 2350mbps. Both already have latest drivers for win 11.
Upgraded the one machine. Now the up and down speeds were 400 and 1650mbps respectively.
So after going through every solution on the net I could find. The speeds are worse. 350 and 400 ish. Up/down.

I checked my wifi 6. It suffered greatly as well. It's right next to the router. Both systems before the upgrade were roughly 2100mbps up/down. After the upgrade on the one the wifi dropped substantially to 250 and 250mbps up/down.

Needless to say I rolled back. I won't upgrade till the SMB large file transfer bug and this connectivity bug is patched.
And on both of my Win 11 systems, no difference.

Of course, I don't have a 2.5Gbe connection, just a paltry 100/100 FiOS line.

Wired, Cat5e
118/108 Up/Down

WiFi 5
87/98 Up/Down

2.5Gb drivers have always been dodgy.