how to get wifi in my house from router in garage

warpig23

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I have spectrum service,I located my modem in my garage.I ran a cat cable to the house for my sons computer(works fine).But recently i bought my wife a ipad and she keeps getting told she is going over her monthly amount gigs.So i was thinking just use wifi & cut them out.But the wifi siginal does not make to the house.I just wondered if i connected a ethernet hub to the existing cable in my sons room and then hooked up some sort of wifi extender or something to that would that work. I feel stupid i use to know a decent amount about computers and whatnot.Forgot most of it over the years.Just wondered if someone could help me out.I would appreciate any advice someone might give me.Thank you

Solution
If you have already pulled 1 cable, I would recommend pulling a few more. Put one into your living room. Why? Streaming media to your primary TV. Streaming works MUCH better with a wired connection to your TV. If you have other devices in your living room that could benefit from internet access, add a switch there. Your WIFI will be best served by dedicated WIFI access points (WAP). If you have a multi-story house, then one on each story is best. If you have a single story house then one near where your wife spends most of her time. The Ubiquiti line of UniFI products is very good.
what you want to go from the modem in the garage to ethernet cable into the home. at the other end pick up a switch. make sure it one of the newer g switches. from the switch pick up one of the newer ap point that look like small smoke detector. on the ap name it 2 floor. on your home wifi name it 1st floor. on your phones use the same wep key for both wifi spots. that let the device connect to the stroger wifi.

kanewolf

Titan
If you have already pulled 1 cable, I would recommend pulling a few more. Put one into your living room. Why? Streaming media to your primary TV. Streaming works MUCH better with a wired connection to your TV. If you have other devices in your living room that could benefit from internet access, add a switch there. Your WIFI will be best served by dedicated WIFI access points (WAP). If you have a multi-story house, then one on each story is best. If you have a single story house then one near where your wife spends most of her time. The Ubiquiti line of UniFI products is very good.

Solution