How to give downloaded steam game to my friend?

Ashish Joseph

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Free to play game only
Me and my friend has been looking for a non pay to win f2p game for a long time. And i found out that Dota 2 is like that, and i was a huge Warcraft 3 fan, and i decided to download Dota 2 on steam. I have to download 10 GB. The problem is that the download speed is extremely slow in our area, only 50 Kbps(bytes). Coupled that with power failures, it will take 2 weeks to download the game. I have downloaded a few f2p games before, but my friend doesn't have the patience to wait 2 weeks to download a game and he is a frequent internet user, so even longer wait.
I haven't started downloading yet. Is there anyway i can copy the game to my friend's laptop?

Solution
You need to copy the game into his steamapps folder and then he needs to get it from the steam store. When it starts the install it will see the files and use them. The location in the steamaps\common will be the same. He must have steam. If you just do a straight copy it will not work so he needs to get the game from the store, it wont download the whole game though.

smackers_12

Honorable
Go into your steam folder and then your steamapps folder. The downloaded games are there, you can copy dota onto a flash drive and then transfer it. It will still need to download a bit of stuff on his computer but it will only be a few megs

Ashish Joseph

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

The game(just started downloading) is located in E:\Steam\SteamApps\downloading\570\dota
The game "Thief" is located at E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Thief. Say that was the game i need to transfer(example), should i just copy the Thief folder to E:\Steam\SteamApps\common, location on his pc?
He doesn't have steam.
Will the game work after getting a steam account, installing steam and then copying Dota 2 to that folder?
Then, will dota 2 be on his steam library?

Vynavill

Honorable
Just copy the entire Dota2 folder on an external support from the steamapps folder, once it finishes downloading. When you'll copy that folder on the same location of your friend's pc, you might still have to associate his account with the game; when it starts downloading, however, it'll automatically detect the existent data and simply check for updates, also updating the steam API modules for your friend's account.

This, as you said, will work ONLY for free games between different accounts on different systems.

smackers_12

Honorable
You need to copy the game into his steamapps folder and then he needs to get it from the steam store. When it starts the install it will see the files and use them. The location in the steamaps\common will be the same. He must have steam. If you just do a straight copy it will not work so he needs to get the game from the store, it wont download the whole game though.

Solution