Question How to give network priority to a computer using winbox

b.eggersglusz

Reputable
Mar 26, 2018
Hello there,

my network configuration is Dish on roof/Router Radio > POE > Router > Devices on network

Its a MikroTik Radio and I have full admin access to it. I would like to give my main computer priority over all other devices on the network Currently I have most of the devices limited to certain upload/download speeds using Simple Queues. I want to know if there is a way to give my PC priority if I for example start a download or am streaming netflix or playing a game etc.

Lets say I have 3 devices on the network

192.168.0.100 - My PC
192.168.0.101 - Other 1
192.168.0.102 - Other 2

How would I make 192.168.0.100 priority. Would I use Queue Tree or something else? Any help or ideas would be useful,

I am unsure what features that router has. Most router have very little ability.

The main reason is that you can't actually limit download speeds. By the time the router receives the data the bandwidth is gone. The only thing the router can really do is limit upload bandwidth and that seldom is the issue. The concept of priority assumes you can change the order packets are send....which you can only do on upload.

Some routers have feature that attempt to limit download to certain rates but what they are actually doing is dropping data that they actually received and hoping the feature in the PC that detects the errors will request data at a slower rate. It is kinda hit and miss. Some application do not slow down. It also works very poorly on a small internet connection where you need it most. Most data transfer is very bursty so you get spikes of data above your rates unless you set the limit lower than actual value you want.

b.eggersglusz

Reputable
Mar 26, 2018
Its a Mikrotik Radio/Router mounted on the back of a dish it is very capable. You are even able to write your own scripts.

The simple queues Ive set up have burst target upload/download disable so the data transfer is hard capped to that upload/download that I have set and it does work.

What im wanting to do is simply give my IP priority instead of sharing it, So say my max download is 15mbps, and I limit a PC to 5mbps and my desktop pc is unlimited, so I start a download on my pc now, Its going to take what it can and share the rest. I want my pc to pull what it needs for the duration. This is all done through Mikrotiks router OS.

The ones I have seen that do something similar set a maximum and minimum rate. If you set the minimum to the total bandwidth it should then in effect reduce the maximum on other machine...assuming you set their minimum to zero.

It is only works for some kinds of traffic. One example is streaming video. It takes a certain amount of bandwidth to provide the service. If you try to limit it the server will still send at the rate it is designed for. Just because you drop the traffic at your router and never deliver it to the other users just means they get poor performance and your internet data was still used. It really only works well to say limit a download.

b.eggersglusz

Reputable
Mar 26, 2018
The limiting does work that isnt the issue, I just want to be able to give my computer priority to any internet traffic, I will try my hand at running a script if need be
The ones I have seen that do something similar set a maximum and minimum rate. If you set the minimum to the total bandwidth it should then in effect reduce the maximum on other machine...assuming you set their minimum to zero.

It is only works for some kinds of traffic. One example is streaming video. It takes a certain amount of bandwidth to provide the service. If you try to limit it the server will still send at the rate it is designed for. Just because you drop the traffic at your router and never deliver it to the other users just means they get poor performance and your internet data was still used. It really only works well to say limit a download.

TRENDING THREADS