How to go about a CPU upgrade

Dec 31, 2018
No longer satisfied with my i5-6500 for 144hz gaming so I'm looking to upgrade. GPU is 1070 8GB, motherboard is MSI B150M. Do I upgrade to i7-6700/7700 or should I go for a new motherboard with the option to overclock? I'm pretty lazy so I prefer the former, would go for a new MoBo only if it's really inefficient. I even thought about getting a i7-6700k/i7-7700k/i5-7600k for my current setup - I know I can't OC but the high base Hz seems worth it. Goal is mainly to get stable 144+ fps in CS and Fortnite, but I would probably dabble in other games too with a better rig (PUBG, RoE). Btw I'm currently on 8GB RAM - looking to upgrade to 16 soon but the CPU is a priority. Do not take budget into consideration.
(sorry if it's too much text, didn't wanna leave anything out)

smartahsan

Reputable
Mar 11, 2017
So personally i have used a rig with a b250m and a i7 7700k im no avid overclocker so i didint see the point in buying a z270 and i also saved a couple of bucks as this build was already getting really pricey. So its really all up to you if you want to get a overclockable motherboard if your sure you will get the results you want go for it but if not just stick with b250 as i had no issues with it. Also i notice that you asked if you should get a tray cpu aka a non “K” cpu dont just go and buy a normal “K” i7 theres practically no diffrence accept overlclocking and in the future if you do change your mind you always have a overclockable cpu to use in your new motheboard.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
If you are looking to replace the motherboard you should be looking for nothing less than something that can overclock with a 8700k, so a z370 with a 8700K minimum. Getting a 7700K for the B150 is self defeating, especially if you are aiming for that 144hz high fps performance.

smartahsan

Reputable
Mar 11, 2017
Also one thing i forgot to say always remember if you are going to go for overclocking look into buying a extended coverage warrenty for it from intels website heres the link

Intel overclocking(preformance tuning) extended warrenty plan:

https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

smartahsan

Reputable
Mar 11, 2017
Its not about being a intel moneygrab its about making mabye his first overclocking expereince a good one and a non stressful if anything were to go wrong out of the low chance it would atleast he would have a processor to use and he wouldnt have to buy a new one or shed a excessive amount of money to repair it.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
OC in this era is just simply "just do it". Things crash, slow it down, do it again. Rinse and repeat. The money grab warranty is utter legal BS.

Here is my 7700K OC to 5.0Ghz. - https://i.imgur.com/rpnu0i0.png
rpnu0i0.png

Did NOT pay intels stupid tax. And if the chip or board died I just return the thing to store right away anyways and get my refund.

You can't buy peace of mind by paying the extortionist, and you will only be bothered by the fact that you got scammed by them.

smartahsan

Reputable
Mar 11, 2017
Look my point is not to argue my point is that it is my recommendaition and what i think is best at this point its all up to him i think that the warrenty is a good thing to keep just in the side incase somthing does go wrong.