How to go from unactivated Windows 8 Pro back to normal?

Aidan P

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2013
Hello, recently I was wondering what Windows 8 Pro offered in terms of additional features etc so I activated it with a serial key. However, it now says that my Windows isn't activated and I keep getting a full screen window appear telling me to activate Windows. I purchased my PC new with a legitimate copy of Windows 8. If I reinstalled Windows, would I need a serial key or would it go back to standard Windows? Any help is greatly appreciated as this is a problem I really would like to fix. Thanks.

Aidan P

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2013

Ok, thank you very much for replying, where do I find the original serial key as my PC came with it already installed?
Thanks again.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There should have been a sticker with the info affixed to the computer. Usually on the back or bottom, but could be inside the case as well. I have seen them placed in many odd places, but one should be there if the vendor you purchased from did their job properly.

Aidan P

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2013
Ok, so am I right in saying this is a 25 digit serial? Also, is it just a serial or does it have a barcode and/or say anything? I've had a look and the only sticker I have seen that could be the key is a barcode but only has a 20 digit serial number.

Aidan P

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah, the sticker is above the Windows 8 sticker and looks exactly the same as the barcode with the covered serial on the right hand side of that picture, so that's the serial?

Aidan P

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2013

Hello again, sorry about this, but I just tried using the serial on the sticker to activate Windows, but it says it needs to be 25 characters long and that sticker is only 20. I tried using Belarc to find the serial key, but it only gave me the one that I put in for Windows 8 Pro (the one that doesn't work).

Aidan P

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2013

Ok, I will try that. No need to apologize, it's not your fault, you've been extremely helpful and I really appreciate it, a great welcome to the site! Thank you.

Aidan P

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2013

I'm aware of the great service from the website as I've used it for help a lot before but never actually made an account, very glad I have now, thank you!