Question How to ground myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NautilusOctopus

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
I want to clean my computer and would like to know how I can ground myself.
Do I turn the switch off on the power supply and the wall or do I only switch off the power supply and keep the wall power switch on?

Thanks in advance

I’d leave the pc connected but with the psu power switch off although you can switch off at the wall too if you want, either way the earth stays connected. Anyway the point is by leaving the pc connected but off the whole system is grounded. This is how I work in and build my PC’s.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ok my apologies, i was speaking of one thing and seems you were asking about another.

by touching metal once before starting, you remove any static and then go about the job. you both are speaking of staying grounded the entire time you're working inside the box.

either way is fine really. both do the job. i have ben building/repairing pc's for well over 20 years and all i have ever done is what i described above. i have NEVER had any issue with static and have never bothered with wrist straps and the other constant ground methods folks say are 100% necessary.

but if it make you feel better then leave it plugged into the wall for safety sake. again won't hurt anything.

but do make sure if you step away from the system and then come back, touch metal before starting again to remove any static build-up that may have occurred while away.

but in either case, enjoy the cleaning. i find it somehow soothing to sit there with some music on and a pile of qtips and other materials and just clean every nook and cranny :)

Status
Not open for further replies.