Question How to hack bios to disable PS/2 ports.

rfdes100

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
I have a legacy embedded PS/2 pointer project that I am working for a client. I have developed firmware for a small microcontroller that supports the PS/2 mouse commands and it works reasonably well. However, I would like the ability to use a host PS/2 controller that I have control over to do further testing. I have an old PS/2 capable laptop that I want to re-purpose as a PS/2 host controller but I need a way to completely disable the PS/2 ports from the bios. If I could do that then I could write some software for 'talking' to the PS/2 controller IC. Of course the bios has no way to disable the PS/2 ports. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to disable (hack) the bios to disable the ports?
Thanks - Jim

rfdes100

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
I don't think that is feasible, but how about a usb to 2x PS2 adapter? I remember those was pretty common in early 2000's and I will assume that they typically won't interract with bios.

Thanks. The goal was to be able to control the PS/2 controller at the hardware level. The USB adapter likely will not allow that to happen.