How to Hack Together a TV Celebrity Silencer

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
One a side note: How about entering keywords that would turn your TV on (or unmute it) everytime something of interest came on? That would be cool.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Re: beardguy

Yes, if you had specific interest areas, such as finance. But for a broader real news use, you'd had to know interesting stories before they arose to know keywords for it.

G

[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]So if CC is enabled, you won't hear the words that's filtered, but you are still going to read it?[/citation]

You don't need to have it on to get the data you need.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Does this only work for the channel you are on or could it work for the raw feed of all the channels you subscribe to?

If so you could turn it round and have it look for certain keywords of interest and change channels when it arrives.

steelbox

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]So if CC is enabled, you won't hear the words that's filtered, but you are still going to read it?[/citation]
"...he hacked his TV signal and decoded the closed-captioning transmission track."
He didn't enabled the CC at all, prior to the signal reaching the TV the little aparatus decodes the signal's CC "track", when certain words appear it send a signal to the remote controler whitch actives the mute.

[citation][nom]retrig[/nom]I think the real shocker of this article is that people actually still watch the news on TV.[/citation]

Watching local news here will always be better than trying to read the local paper. It's a minefield of typos, misspellings, and continuations on other pages completely disappearing =/

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Does this only work for the channel you are on or could it work for the raw feed of all the channels you subscribe to?If so you could turn it round and have it look for certain keywords of interest and change channels when it arrives.[/citation]

Back when I had my all-in-wonder pro card, it had software that would do exactly that. You put in some keywords and it would flip to those stations when they came up.

rjq

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Why in the world would somebody look for a commercial station not wanting to see commercial content???? change it to PBS, better, easier and cheaper hack, and for the office public radio any one?....

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
a=mc2 x 3 + 93id x a(f+c)x8p/9(2 + m)= whoohooo silence!!!!..way to much work to avoid idiotic celebrities.. I just change the channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.