How to handle customers at computer shop

sukhriar

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
Hi...
I'm new in computer repair world.
I dont want to ask how much to charge for 1 hour etc etc...

But sometimes there are simple jobs like hard resetting computer or loose connections. In this case how much to charge to the customer?

I found some computer shops for these simple problems make invoice of $70. And show in invoice like it was having big issue.

Other problem is, if I do jobs in front of customers they think it is a simple thing to do.

Please provide Any suggestion and tip. Thanks

Solution
If you think about it, other businesses such as car dealers charge 1/2 hour labor to do simple things like programming a key fob/remote too.

I don't think I would charge for a reset, but loose connections would definitely take some time to verify the problem was fixed and won't come loose again. Molex connectors are only rated for 50 insertions and are only held in by friction, so you should really spend some time crimping a loose one until it's tight and on some wire management for making sure it's really fixed for good, or the customer won't think much of you after the problem recurs. If the problem is the customer simply forgot to plug in the connection though, you may want to simply fix that in front of them for free, because the...
If you think about it, other businesses such as car dealers charge 1/2 hour labor to do simple things like programming a key fob/remote too.

I don't think I would charge for a reset, but loose connections would definitely take some time to verify the problem was fixed and won't come loose again. Molex connectors are only rated for 50 insertions and are only held in by friction, so you should really spend some time crimping a loose one until it's tight and on some wire management for making sure it's really fixed for good, or the customer won't think much of you after the problem recurs. If the problem is the customer simply forgot to plug in the connection though, you may want to simply fix that in front of them for free, because the customer will then know you are an honest shop and be happy to come back. It takes no time and fosters goodwill.

With the reset, make sure to let the customer know that the problem may reoccur if the item is going bad.

Solution
on the flip side there been a lot of under cover on both cars and computers where they unplug one cable to see if the tech can find the right problem. a lot of shop did and charge for the cable to be plugged back in. your better off having an extra bench and charge hour shop charge to help new builders. you make more money that way then 5 and diming people.