I bought some thermal tape from local Comp USA store and I'm not sure how to
apply it. There's 1X1 inch squares covered by transparent film on one side
and paper on the other side. I had no problem taking off the transparent
film that covers the pinkish adhesive but the top cover covering the
plasticy part on the other side won't budge. When I try to take it off by
force, the adhesive gets smeared. How do I do it correctly? I've already
wasted one square.
Thanks for any input.

I have never used thermal tape before so I probably won't be very helpful.

Are there any instructions that came along with your thermal tape?
Perhaps the part you are trying to remove isn't supposed to be removed?

Here are two sources of information about applying thermal tape. It might be
similar to your situation.

"Hand-apply to 80128044 to the clean (free from oil, dust, etc) mounting
surface of a room temperature heat sink with the assistance of a foam roller
or other device to out the surface. Remove the liner facing the target
component and apply anywhere from 10psi (0.069 MPa) for 15sec to 30psi
(0.207MPa) for 5 seconds. Using heat during the assembly process can improve
bonding results."

http://www.thermaflo.com/tape/pdf/80128044web.pdf

This information may also be helpful:

"Thermal tape, like its name implies, is a rubber tape or film that may be
sticky on both sides. The tape is usually applied to the heat sink, sometimes
with a protective film that needs to be removed before placing the heat sink
in place on the CPU. Thermal tape is not recommended for use on processors
much over 200-250 MHz, because it will not transfer heat as effectively as
the other materials. There is a possibility of small air bubbles being
trapped between the tape and the heat sink or processor. Heat will not
conduct as well in these areas, resulting in localized hot spots in the CPU"

http://www.microcenter.com/instore_clinic/clinic_notes/cpu_cooling.pdf

That’s all I got. Hopefully someone with experience can help out.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Skysi wrote:

> I bought some thermal tape from local Comp USA store and I'm not sure how to
> apply it. There's 1X1 inch squares covered by transparent film on one side
> and paper on the other side. I had no problem taking off the transparent
> film that covers the pinkish adhesive but the top cover covering the
> plasticy part on the other side won't budge. When I try to take it off by
> force, the adhesive gets smeared. How do I do it correctly? I've already
> wasted one square.
> Thanks for any input.

Ask in a hardware group. This is for the Windows XP OS.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks a lot for your time, man. Looks like I'll have to get some thermal
compound instead.