[SOLVED] How to have a better connection for Xbox streaming to PC?

Jan 25, 2020
I've got both the Xbox One and the PC cabled and sometimes I play the Xbox One through my PC in streaming (using the Windows 10 Xbox app).

Sometimes I get the "connection problem" message by the Xbox and sometimes during a game it lags and the video shuts off for a second.

Why do I have these problems if both Xbox One and PC are cabled? What can i do to get the best connection possible? Give me some help here guys. thank you

Solution
D
Are you sure the DGN-1000 is only 10/100???? Then that's my problem. I should get a 10 port gigabit switch then. That would be the best solution.

I have CAT 5E patch cables. Are those ok for the gigabit connection?

check the specs of the dgn that’s what I found online (which seemed weird given the name, but nonetheless).
yes 5e is 1000 base for short distances
Again check length and avoid passing cables next to power cords if not shielded
D

Deleted member 1272431

First of all, it is worth noting that while streaming like this is wonderful for some obvious reasons, it will never be an “optimal” solution.
Secondly, we need to check the speeds you ACTUALLY have. Cabling is not enough in itself. I could cable my pc to my modem with a CAT5 cable, even if I have fiber I would not get above 100mbps.
From my knowledge the connection is established between the Xbox and your PC necessarily through LAN, so, here are my questions:

what is the CAT of your cabling?
How are the Xbox and your PC cabled? Please report every step the cables make and work me through your networking so it’s easier to establish the issue.
Also, check the properties of your connection (is your computer gigabit-network enabled? I know the Xbox one should be)

Jan 25, 2020
First of all, it is worth noting that while streaming like this is wonderful for some obvious reasons, it will never be an “optimal” solution.
Secondly, we need to check the speeds you ACTUALLY have. Cabling is not enough in itself. I could cable my pc to my modem with a CAT5 cable, even if I have fiber I would not get above 100mbps.
From my knowledge the connection is established between the Xbox and your PC necessarily through LAN, so, here are my questions:

what is the CAT of your cabling?
How are the Xbox and your PC cabled? Please report every step the cables make and work me through your networking so it’s easier to establish the issue.
Also, check the properties of your connection (is your computer gigabit-network enabled? I know the Xbox one should be)
The cable that goes to the XBOX is CAT 6 for sure. The others I don't actually know. They are all cables I found in various boxes from different routers and old pcs and stuff like that. How can I check the quality of the cables? is there a way to test them? Is it written somewhere on the cable maybe?

XBOX goes to my main router which has internet connection. PC goes to a Netgear DGN-1000 that I use as a switch which then goes to the main router.

I just checked and it's true that my pc is actually connected at 100 Mbit/s. What can I do to get a 1 Gbit/s connection? Could it be one of the two cables that connect the PC to the Netgear and then to the router?

D

Deleted member 1272431

Your DGN has 10/100. Upgrade that to a switch. You can find a 10 port gigabit switch for about 30 bucks. Secondly, check your network card on PC, under device manager.
Lastly, cables must be cat 5e (6 if running for long distances) or higher which will be the case unless you stole the cables from some great-great-grandparents house. One more thing: if they are not shielded, make them run far from power wires as it may cause interferences.

D

Deleted member 1272431

And obviously, almost forgot (but worth mentioning since the Netgear is 10/100) the main router must be a gigabit router as well, otherwise it’s useless. Basically any connection can be your bottleneck. I suggest you to use a switch after the router and pass everything through that so that the router is being a router and the switch just being a switch. It makes things easier

Jan 25, 2020
Your DGN has 10/100. Upgrade that to a switch. You can find a 10 port gigabit switch for about 30 bucks. Secondly, check your network card on PC, under device manager.
Lastly, cables must be cat 5e (6 if running for long distances) or higher which will be the case unless you stole the cables from some great-great-grandparents house. One more thing: if they are not shielded, make them run far from power wires as it may cause interferences.
Are you sure the DGN-1000 is only 10/100???? Then that's my problem. I should get a 10 port gigabit switch then. That would be the best solution.

D

Deleted member 1272431

check the specs of the dgn that’s what I found online (which seemed weird given the name, but nonetheless).

Solution
Jan 25, 2020
Yeah it seems like the DGN-1000 is actually a 10/100 only. That was my problem I guess. Thanks for the tips!

D

Deleted member 1272431

Yeah it seems like the DGN-1000 is actually a 10/100 only. That was my problem I guess. Thanks for the tips!

happy I could help.
See if upgrading to 10G is worth it (money wise) to future proof the investment. Then cat 5e would need to be 6 or higher